Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Configuring a T-Shirt for Robotics Task
Hi,

I'm an undergraduate student working with a robot-assisted dressing task and am interested in using Obi to simulate the dynamics of a T-shirt. Currently, I'm aiming just to get a t-shirt cloth set up to see if Obi will give good performance/results in terms of realistic cloth simulation.

I've imported this into Unity and set up a scene with Obi. Currently, I just have the shirt falling onto itself on a hospital bed.

Some important specifications for my problem in particular are that I need to use self collisions and surface collisions simultaneously enabled, or else the cloth may phase through itself in unexpected ways. I ran previously into a problem with this causing INTENSE lag, but followed the steps in this forum post (https://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/foru...-3994.html) to resolve this. I suppose I have one tiny question regarding that solution: 

When I limit the timestep to 0.06, which seems to give workable results, the simulation actually seems to slow down. That is, it's as if I reduced the timescale because the physics compared to real time seems to actually be slower than if I have the timestep unlimited. I assume this is because the physics timestep is limited below the timestep suggested by the FPS, meaning the physics simulates slower than expected. Is this intentional and is there any workaround I can do regarding this? It's certainly not the biggest deal and still simulates at a reasonable speed.

Secondly, more pertinently, I'm running into an issue when the cloth lays on top of itself; when the cloth should be simply at rest laying on top of itself, it seems to jitter violently due to collisions constantly happening between its particles. I attached a video of this on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16GJlybl...sp=sharing

Is there any way to prevent this jitter and make the cloth behave better when at rest?

Thanks in advance for any tips and apologies if answers are already somewhere out there. I haven't seen much use of Obi Cloth (or any particle-based simulations out there) in the context of actual entire clothing meshes, so it's been hard to configure things specifically for this purpose. I suppose in that case if there are any particular resources I could consult to find more about the use of Obi for my specific purpose I would really appreciate any direction towards those resources. Sonrisa

Messages In This Thread
Configuring a T-Shirt for Robotics Task - by thisjustin123 - 08-03-2024, 05:03 PM