Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'2D' Meshes for Softbodies
(13-09-2022, 12:01 AM)woffles Wrote: I've since tried to replicate such a 'mesh' in blender, making a flat plane and exporting to Unity. However, particles don't seem to generate properly  and the softbody collapses and deforms at runtime, even after skinning.

I was messing around with the solver settings, and found that it could work just fine when setting solver mode to 3D (which resulted in the quad being deformed and not working properly instead). However, when in 2D, the mesh still fails to work. Still not sure why, but I will keep investigating.

Hi!

Make sure the mesh is properly exported. More specifically, make sure it has sane scale values in Unity. If it's scaled x100 or some other large value, you will be able to see it in the scene view, but not when editing the mesh alone since it will be extremely small in absence of its transform (that scales it up x100). Also make sure to set "max anisotropy" to its minimum value in the blueprint, since in 2D particles cannot have anisotropy values > 1.

(13-09-2022, 12:01 AM)woffles Wrote: and the mesh is only visible on one side within the Unity editor

This does not have anything to do with Obi, it's probably backface culling. This is a very basic concept in 3D graphics: triangles/faces have an associated normal vector, that determines which side is facing "outwards". Once a triangle is facing away from the camera, it's not rendered anymore to save resources.

Unity performs backface culling by default. In 3D modeling software like Blender it's optional (disabled by default), because it is sometimes useful to see the inside of objects while modeling.

If you want two-facing geometry in Unity, you can:
- Use a shader with no culling: https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Document...Depth.html
- Use two materials, one for front-facing geometry and another for backfaces.
- Bruteforce it and duplicate all triangles, flipping their normals (not recommended, duplicates memory usage and hampers performance).

Keep in mind that Obi is a moderately complex engine, aimed at intermediate/advanced users. I'd suggest to familiarize yourself with these basic 3D concepts first, otherwise chances are you'll have a hard time using Obi.

let me know if you need further help,

kind regards

Messages In This Thread
'2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by woffles - 13-09-2022, 12:01 AM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by josemendez - 15-09-2022, 07:37 PM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by woffles - 16-09-2022, 02:49 AM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by josemendez - 17-09-2022, 10:06 AM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by woffles - 18-09-2022, 03:44 AM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by josemendez - 18-09-2022, 08:54 AM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by woffles - 18-09-2022, 10:15 AM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by josemendez - 18-09-2022, 11:19 AM
RE: '2D' Meshes for Softbodies - by woffles - 18-09-2022, 11:46 AM