Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Rope is moving wen increasing his length
(08-02-2022, 01:38 PM)lufydad Wrote: No it isn't attached to something and indeed it is floating with zero gravity. It's more clear why it's moving, thanks for the physical explaination.

I add a floor and gravity to reproduce the experiment with "external forces", it seems a bit more stable but when it reach the max length it start moving as before. Does this mean that the "external forces" are not "larger" enough ?

Or should I restrain the expansion rate factor (the one before Time.deltaTime) ?

Gravity in this case acts in a direction that's completely perpendicular to the rope's longitudinal axis: it will not affect momentum along the X axis in the slightest. What I mean when mentioning gravity, is that ropes are usually attached from either end to an object and tend to fall down and lay in a vertical fashion, so any momentum gains are quickly dissipated.

The floor won't affect horizontal momentum either, unless you use a collision material with non-zero friction: the rope is free to slip on the floor. So this is still behaving exactly like (or very close to) the original scene since both external forces act in an axis that's perpendicular to the momentum.

What is your use case exactly? Maybe I can give more specific pointers if I know what you're attempting to do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rope is moving wen increasing his length - by josemendez - 08-02-2022, 02:45 PM