Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Need fixed width rope with no stretching at all
(18-06-2021, 02:39 PM)Tattler Wrote: Thanks for your quick answer @josemendez.

Yes I set static attachment to the end of the rope. One end is "pinned" to the wall for example, and other is pinned to sphere. I change position of the sphere(not with forces) and drag center of the rope through the bar I want to collide. Maybe I will try to move the sphere with forces and see if the rope will stretching? 

Surface base collision of the rope is checked.

Then, you’re forcing the rope to stretch. No matter how many substeps/iterations you use.

Think about what would happen in real life if you attached one end of the rope to a iron wall, the other end to a iron sphere (both absolutely immobile), then pushed an infinitely rigid iron bar across the rope with infinite force: the wall, the sphere and the bar can neither move or deform. So the only possible outcome is the rope breaking, no matter how strong.

Static colliders in all physics engines extern “infinite” force. Or rather, they don’t care about forces or physics of any kind. They just move to wherever you tell them to move, no matter if they’re colliding with other stuff.

You need to use rigidbodies and move them with forces, to give ropes and other objects a chance of pushing back and resist stretching.

I’d recommend familiarizing yourself with colliders/rigidbodies/forces/inertia/mass, etc before attempting to use Obi. These are the basic foundation of any physics stuff, otherwise you’re in for a very frustrating experience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need fixed width rope with no stretching at all - by josemendez - 18-06-2021, 02:52 PM