Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloth Mesh disappearing when pressing play
(26-01-2021, 01:26 PM)josemendez Wrote: Still I don't see anything wrong with that sentence :/. I wasn't even calling you a beginner (which is nothing to be ashamed of, imho). I was just pointing out that understanding transform hierarchies well is far from trivial, specially when scaling is involved (when composed with rotations scaling gives rise to skew, it's not always clear what the difference between transform scale vs import scale factor vs unit conversion is or what order they're applied in, etc), and that simpler solutions exist.

That's some twisted train of thought right there. Transform hierarchies don't seem simple to me, there's lots of pitfalls and subtle caveats that make it hard to deal with them sometimes. I was just trying to make your life easier by nudging you in the direction of using unit scaling, which is simpler. That's all.

I was not scaling the way you told me to do it in blender, In which case I'm about to go do it soon and reset it up in unity. however transforms appear to be pretty simple to me, you want to scale the unit twice the size so it goes from 1 to 2 in all three scaling parts of the model. Its not much more difficult than that, and any kind of transforming of the model no matter where its done is going to be comparable maybe even using something like a gizmo to simply scale it like in zbrush. it also has scale master which I dont really care for as a 3d printing solution as when I model something if I need a 3mm hole I dont see how thats going to be accomplished there modelling to accuracy like fusion 360, especially if I just add some holes and then just scale master the entire model it seems very subpar of a solution to me. Theres going to be very little to make it more difficult than how simple I just explained it.

Quote:- Finally, a personal observation: if you're aiming to add cloth simulation to a RTS, keep in mind that cloth simulation is expensive. Unless you have a really clear idea of what your ms/frame budget is and how much you want to spend on each specific thing (AI, pathfinding, rendering, etc), better add cloth simulation once you have all basic systems in place and you know for a fact how much extra time you can spend on eye candy.

I was thinking this as well as ive done given in to such bad meshes decimated down into nothing feels like a mobile game and its very disappointing overall, however its something I wanted to test how much it effects the game and framerates, I am also making two mmos, so thats something to keep in mind even if I end up statically animating this cloth in blender. I also read this is being done on cpu not gpu which causes concern for the performance as well. I was hoping it wasnt that expensive as its advertised as very efficient.

Plus the way this rts is setup is also already going to be a bit higher than how aom is setup in memory, since the armor is being equipped as a separate model rather than part of the human himself which should cut down poly count by the majority of it. The cloth there is 462 tris while the human is 362. While if combined as one mesh and the body of the human is no longer being used and just a robe is there, then that should cut the tris down by a lot, especially when it comes to a full robe where you only see feet and not legs, then its cutting that human down a lot.

So I should already being going a very expensive route and adding this on top so its really up to testing and seeing how things fall.

When it comes to trees ive taken them down to pathetic levels of the typical low poly look. Bought amplify imposters for them however that doesnt give the desired results even on such simple models I didnt mess with it too much however what I seen from some quick tests was not satisfying.

Also cloth simulation would likely only be on so many units so thats something to consider as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cloth Mesh disappearing when pressing play - by Merch137 - 26-01-2021, 01:38 PM