Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample Scenes Crazy Low FPS
I found out the hot-loading soon after some more internet digging.

It's the first time I hear of bars in obi-ropes... so I will definitely take a look into that! (I got ropes before the 4.0 release). My main disappointment was when you have a rope running over say a pulley wheel and it is attached to an object. The rope doesn't display tension, it looks like a bouncy wet noodle (a real rope would slightly stretch linearly and eventually rip/break from too much weight), it looks like it lacks strain on it. A heavy enough weight on the end of a rope should swing in a perfect arc and be unable to bounce around since the rope has enough tension on it to keep it straight all the time rather than jump and bounce around. I tried mucking about to attempt to remove ALL of the springiness in the rope but I didn't dive deep into it (it wasn't a necessary thing, so I shelved the whole rope thing).

As for the fluid system, I am fully aware. I was just expecting to have the demo scenes somewhat workable at a steady frame rate (maybe 30-45 fps) to showcase the system. I understand the limitations for accurate fluid simulations but my intention was to use it on a small scale and in 2D.

What I don't understand is if it is normal for the 2D version to cause such a low frame rate... I have no issue lowering the time-step and preventing a death spiral on something I plan on uniquely building... but (and this is legitimately not a rhetorical question) should the demo scenes really be running at such a low frame-rate without tweaks to my unity build? If the answer is a yes, I can work with that, I'm just surprised.

I need to use obi fluids for small scale fluid dynamics in my game and I will be very selective as to how many particles I use as well as disabling/destroying them off-screen etc... as long as I can do that without frame rate dropping to less than 50 fps, I think I can deal. But if all I have is a small glob of 200 particles on screen and it tanks my frames to 12fps, then I can't do anything with.

Messages In This Thread
Sample Scenes Crazy Low FPS - by MasterGeneralB - 05-08-2019, 08:49 AM
RE: Sample Scenes Crazy Low FPS - by josemendez - 05-08-2019, 09:30 AM
RE: Sample Scenes Crazy Low FPS - by MasterGeneralB - 06-08-2019, 02:36 AM
RE: Sample Scenes Crazy Low FPS - by josemendez - 06-08-2019, 08:24 AM