Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Softbodies intersecting easily
(02-09-2024, 07:53 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Matt,

No, this behavior should not usually take place. What's the mass of these particles? Looks as if the ball is much heavier than the platform. In that case, it will be very easy for the ball to push the platform's particles apart and go into it. Making the platform heavier than the ball should help.

Note the same will happen with rigidbodies, eg if you place a heavy rigidbody on top of a light one, at a certain mass ratio they'll just go trough each other.

kind regards,

The mass of the particles for the ball are 0.5 (203 particles total), for the bottom object 1 (556 particles total), so the bottom object is actually much heavier. The only option I've found to stop them penetrating eventually is to increase the Collision margin in the solver from 0.02 to 0.2 (which is probably not a good idea!). The radius of the ball is around 0.5 for reference.

I thought surface collisions would solve this, but the ball simply falls through the floor (a static obi collider) when I do this. Is there anything I can do to debug this, there aren't any errors or warnings fired.

For easy repro, set surface collision on the ball in the pool bool scene to true and they'll fall through the floor too, so I'm assuming there's some regen step?

Messages In This Thread
Softbodies intersecting easily - by MattS - 01-09-2024, 09:09 PM
RE: Softbodies intersecting easily - by MattS - 02-09-2024, 03:05 PM
RE: Softbodies intersecting easily - by MattS - 02-09-2024, 04:28 PM
RE: Softbodies intersecting easily - by MattS - 02-09-2024, 09:59 PM