Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Softbody not rendering when model has rig.
(10-07-2023, 11:07 PM)BiffThomson Wrote: I'll try that.

Hi,

Took a look at your project, but your SkinnedMeshRenderer is clearly missing all bones? as a result, the mesh is not rendered because all vertex weights in it reference bones that don't exist in the scene.

My guess is that you've created a ObiSoftbody trough the menu and just slapped the mesh on the empty SkinnedMeshRenderer it creates. You can only do this if your mesh does not require bones. Note that if you create a SkinnedMeshRenderer component yourself and put the goblin mesh in it it won't render either, regardless of using Obi or not: you need the character's bones to be present for rigged characters to work at all in any software.

Unity will create the bone hierarchy if you drag your character prefab onto the scene view, so:

- Drag your Goblin character from your project window and drop it onto your scene view. This will automatically create the proper bone hierarchy and use them to setup a SkinnedMeshRenderer for you to use. The manual assumes this step has already been done when you start creating the softbody, as it's the usual way to instantiate a character in Unity.

- Once your character is properly setup, you can add Obi components to it: ObiSolver/ObiUpdater (usually in the character's root) and ObiSoftbody/ObiSoftbodySkinner besides its SkinnedMeshRenderer(s), or create an entirely new softbody component if you only want to drive part of the character as explained in the manual.

Once you do this the simulation will work. I'm PM'ing you a scene with the basic setup.

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
RE: Obi Softbody not rendering when model has rig. - by josemendez - 12-07-2023, 06:06 AM