Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set up handles? ( Bug and import compiler error)
Pregunta 
I've been trying to properly set up handles but it seems it doesn't work properly or I'm missing something. I went through documentation but the part on handles is scarce.

Trying to set up a handle on my own meshes resulted in mesh flying around for a couple seconds before settling in place, after which softbody displays significant twiching, even if handle's not moving.

I initially tried on 2018.3 but switched to 2018.1.9f2 hoping it might work here since that's where the project was uploaded. Deleted the asset from the appdata, downloaded again, created a new project in 2018.1.9f2. Import in an empty scene also causes dozens of errors.

Apart from trying to set up my own mesh, I tested it in the PlasticSheet scene using the provided Wall asset.
I removed the pins (just in case) before reinitialising the softbody. Then I painted the particles I wanted the handle to control ( didn't matter if it was one or a hundred. Mostly I tried to paint the first row). It resulted in one of two scenarios, either twiching as explained above or an error from the start.

Code:
transform.position assign attempt for 'Wall' is not valid. Input position is { NaN, NaN, NaN }.
UnityEngine.Transform:set_position(Vector3)
Obi.ObiSoftbody:OnSolverStepEnd() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Actors/ObiSoftbody.cs:92)
Obi.ObiSolver:AllSolversStepEnd() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:850)
Obi.ObiArbiter:WaitForAllSolvers() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiArbiter.cs:45)
Obi.ObiSolver:WaitForAllSolvers() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:757)
Obi.ObiSolver:SimulateStep(Single) (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:662)
Obi.ObiSolver:FixedUpdate() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:839)

One more thing, I've been going over the forums searching for a fix, but ended up finding fixes for other non related problems. As another user suggested, there should be a thread or a webpage with all the known bugs and fixes so we can replace it in the code ourselves, rather than being all around different threads and even different products.
(17-03-2019, 04:01 PM)Zyn_X Wrote: I've been trying to properly set up handles but it seems it doesn't work properly or I'm missing something. I went through documentation but the part on handles is scarce.

Trying to set up a handle on my own meshes resulted in mesh flying around for a couple seconds before settling in place, after which softbody displays significant twiching, even if handle's not moving.

I initially tried on 2018.3 but switched to 2018.1.9f2 hoping it might work here since that's where the project was uploaded. Deleted the asset from the appdata, downloaded again, created a new project in 2018.1.9f2. Import in an empty scene also causes dozens of errors.

[Image: zdHXQkx.png]

Apart from trying to set up my own mesh, I tested it in the PlasticSheet scene using the provided Wall asset.
I removed the pins (just in case) before reinitialising the softbody. Then I painted the particles I wanted the handle to control ( didn't matter if it was one or a hundred. Mostly I tried to paint the first row). It resulted in one of two scenarios, either twiching as explained above or an error from the start.

Code:
transform.position assign attempt for 'Wall' is not valid. Input position is { NaN, NaN, NaN }.
UnityEngine.Transform:set_position(Vector3)
Obi.ObiSoftbody:OnSolverStepEnd() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Actors/ObiSoftbody.cs:92)
Obi.ObiSolver:AllSolversStepEnd() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:850)
Obi.ObiArbiter:WaitForAllSolvers() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiArbiter.cs:45)
Obi.ObiSolver:WaitForAllSolvers() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:757)
Obi.ObiSolver:SimulateStep(Single) (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:662)
Obi.ObiSolver:FixedUpdate() (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:839)

Hi,

DllNotFoundException is thrown by Unity when it hasn't had a chance to load a native library. Since Unity only loads libraries on startup (as described in the Unity docs), simply restarting Unity will fix this. This applies not only to Obi, but to any native plugin.

Quote:One more thing, I've been going over the forums searching for a fix, but ended up finding fixes for other non related problems. As another user suggested, there should be a thread or a webpage with all the known bugs and fixes so we can replace it in the code ourselves, rather than being all around different threads and even different products.

All patches for any given version are included in the next release, so known bugs generally aren't around for long. Thanks for the suggestion though, we will consider adding a downloadable patches section to the webpage.
(17-03-2019, 04:50 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

DllNotFoundException is thrown by Unity when it hasn't had a chance to load a native library. Since Unity only loads libraries on startup (as described in the Unity docs), simply restarting Unity will fix this. This applies not only to Obi, but to any native plugin.

All patches for any given version are included in the next release, so known bugs generally aren't around for long. Thanks for the suggestion though, we will consider adding a downloadable patches section to the webpage.

What about the bug with the handles? Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: It was not a bug. I thought that handles themselves acted as pins, so I would remove the pins so that the two don't interfere with each other. It works now.

And yeah, a section with current patches would be extremely useful, especially because Unity can take ages to approve asset changes.