Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Extending rope and particle mass
Hi,

I've been fiddling around with Obi Rope to get a crane working, I got it working as I'd like except when extending the rope.

New particles added get a default Mass which is way too low for a stiff rope. my particles use a mass of 200.

Can I set a default mass for particles that get added? I tried going over the code but it seems to do something funky when setting the invmass.

Furthermore I have a problem when trying to extend the rope: it seems to be stuck, I first need to move something the rope is attached to before it will update the rope length.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I figured out the "stuck" part, that was my own stupidity. Sonrisa

For the hacky bit I changed the DEFAULT_PARTICLE mass to 200 but it still acts like a rubberband. In the inspector every particle seems to have the correct mass but when extending the rope it just acts like a yoyo. I set the Distance constraint to over 300 iterations but I never get a nice cable extension going.

Edit: I just saw Filo, is that maybe a better way to simulate a crane? Or should this just work?

Edit3: I figured out that the yoyo effect happens when the rope extends beyond it's original length. Say I have a rope of 2 meters initialized, but I can extend it arbitrarily, between the 2 meters everything works as it should but as soon as the cable extends beyond 2 meters it will just become a yoyo. Do I need to create a rope that is already on it's maximum size and spool it in?

That would be really problematic. Triste