Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bend in a circle without resistence
Hello.

If I just have an extended rope 1m long, when I try to bend it in a circle, it resists it like a spring or elastic. I've disabled the Bend Twist constraint, in fact disabled all the constraints other then Distance, Particle Collision, Collision and Pin and still I can't get it to just coil in the game. When I coil it it really wants to force itself out of it, and if I let both ends go, it will jump away from the force as it's trying to uncoil.

My question, how do I enable it to bend without inner tension, without resistance? Is this some specific combination of constraints?
(28-02-2019, 01:39 PM)frg_kova Wrote: Hello.

If I just have an extended rope 1m long, when I try to bend it in a circle, it resists it like a spring or elastic. I've disabled the Bend Twist constraint, in fact disabled all the constraints other then Distance, Particle Collision, Collision and Pin and still I can't get it to just coil in the game. When I coil it it really wants to force itself out of it, and if I let both ends go, it will jump away from the force as it's trying to uncoil.

My question, how do I enable it to bend without inner tension, without resistance? Is this some specific combination of constraints?

Hi there,

Bend/Twist constraints are used for rods. For ropes the Bend constraints are used. Note these are separate kinds of constraints and they work very differently, the former uses quaternions and the latter uses triangle areas as explained here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aints.html

Disabling the Bend constraints will allow the rope to bend freely.
I've gotten back to this and managed to find the issue.
My rope endpoints objects were pinned of end particles of the rope of course, and since you can pin only on obi collider they had obi colliders on them that got included in obi sim. Even though they didn't touch visually, disabling particles to collide with endpoints remove all the tension and rope bend weirdness. You can set their colliders "phase" to 1 (from default 0), which is the same as particles, so they won't collide with particles but still act appropriately.