Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Next? Fracturing?
Sonrisa 
Over the past 2 weeks, I have really started to enjoy all of the obi physics products, and working them into my pipeline has been great.

So, I wanted to ask, is there a roadmap? What do we have to look forward to?

A few things I would hope to see in the future.
  • Fracturing and slicing of Meshes. Runtime Destruction.
  • Softbody Tearing (similar to cloth tearing)
  • Particle Editor with Manual particle positioning override
  • Ability to use translate tools in editor while in playmode on gameobjects with softbodies and cloth components
Not expecting any of these anytime soon - I just wanted to add to the wishlist. 

Thanks. Looking forward to the future.
(12-02-2019, 06:44 PM)StudioTatsu Wrote: Over the past 2 weeks, I have really started to enjoy all of the obi physics products, and working them into my pipeline has been great.

So, I wanted to ask, is there a roadmap? What do we have to look forward to?

A few things I would hope to see in the future.
  • Fracturing and slicing of Meshes. Runtime Destruction.
  • Softbody Tearing (similar to cloth tearing)
  • Particle Editor with Manual particle positioning override
  • Ability to use translate tools in editor while in playmode on gameobjects with softbodies and cloth components
Not expecting any of these anytime soon - I just wanted to add to the wishlist. 

Thanks. Looking forward to the future.

Hi there,

Thanks for your words! Being a one-man (sometimes two-man) team makes things progress slowly, but I do my best Sonrisa. Currently there's several development fronts open:

- Developing a toy version of Obi using ECS. The objective is to rewrite the underlying engine in C#, for faster iteration times and instant support of all platforms. Still in the "figure out how to achieve certain things" phase, and evaluating performance. Basic XPBD constraints are almost done, the hard part is efficient collision detection/response.

- Better editor tools for cloth and soft bodies. Better particle selection using raycasting, ability to move/create/delete particles, and create/delete constraints. This would allow for manual placement of soft body clusters.

- Obi Plant. Too soon to talk much about it, but basically an interactive way to generate tress and climbing plants, that can either be used as-is (simulated at runtime), or baked to static meshes.

About the proposed points:

- Softbody tearing/fracture is definitely something we want to have, but remeshing seems a tad complex/messy. It is manageable in 2D (for cloth) but for softbodies it has to be volumetric, which adds another layer of complexity. Still researching and figuring out the simplest/fastest way to approach it.

- Using the translate tool in editor is already possible as long as any particle is fixed to the object's transform. Or, if you use local space simulation, you can transform the solver itself.  If there is no fixed particle and you're in world space mode, the object will obey the laws of physics and it is not possible to move it using translation gizmos. Specially in the case of cloth, as it does not have a "center" that we could position/rotate/scale around. Softbodies would be easier since they have a rigid rest shape that we can use, but still...
Wow, Great to hear!

Very valid points with the translate tool. 
Sadly, I'm still having issues trying to make softbodies work with parented rigidbodies. 
(A video would be nice, I think I'm missing a step. My softbodies  always fall thru the floor when connected to a rigidbody.)

ECS version would definitely solve the platforms issue. I'm planning on releasing games on consoles next year.
I imagine you could probably get a performance boost with the Burst Compiler.  I wonder how it compares to c++...

Obi Plant?  Gran sonrisa yes, please. lol

Thanks for the insight!
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/03/19/ann...blog_havok

Unity Physics集成代表Unity中基于DOTS的项目的默认物理系统,目前处于预览发布形式。它由我们自己的DOTS物理解算器支持,并使用C#DOTS框架编写。通过使用无状态设计而不利用缓存,我们能够简化Unity Physics的复杂性,使人们能够在我们进化系统时轻松调整,修改和学习。我们的目标是让您作为创作者回馈您的力量,让您轻松扩展系统以满足您的生产需求。
Unity Physics系统提供以下功能:
  • 无缓存设计与网络回滚体系结构兼容,用于输入关键模拟,如格斗游戏,第一人称射击游戏等。

• 与Havok Physics互操作且数据兼容。
Unity Physics现在可通过  Unity Package Manager获得,  并与最新的2019.1 Beta  版本兼容  。

有没有计划?
(20-03-2019, 04:32 AM)veeem Wrote: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/03/19/ann...blog_havok

Unity Physics集成代表Unity中基于DOTS的项目的默认物理系统,目前处于预览发布形式。它由我们自己的DOTS物理解算器支持,并使用C#DOTS框架编写。通过使用无状态设计而不利用缓存,我们能够简化Unity Physics的复杂性,使人们能够在我们进化系统时轻松调整,修改和学习。我们的目标是让您作为创作者回馈您的力量,让您轻松扩展系统以满足您的生产需求。
Unity Physics系统提供以下功能:
  • 无缓存设计与网络回滚体系结构兼容,用于输入关键模拟,如格斗游戏,第一人称射击游戏等。

• 与Havok Physics互操作且数据兼容。
Unity Physics现在可通过  Unity Package Manager获得,  并与最新的2019.1 Beta  版本兼容  。

有没有计划?

This will be beneficial to us, because it will hopefully make it simpler to implement rigidbody-particle interactions in Obi. Still in very early stages though, and has (at least for us) some performance issues.