Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Throw a rope like a grappling hook
Hey,

is it possible to recreate the behaviour shown in the video between 6:25 and 7:30 with Obi Rope? If so - what parts of the api should I look into to make that happen?

Specifically talking about the spinning and upwards throwing. 

I guess the climbing part could be achieved with joints and/or constraints?

Thank you in advance!

Roy
(31-01-2019, 05:26 PM)roykoma Wrote: Hey,

is it possible to recreate the behaviour shown in the video between 6:25 and 7:30 with Obi Rope? If so - what parts of the api should I look into to make that happen?

Specifically talking about the spinning and upwards throwing. 

I guess the climbing part could be achieved with joints and/or constraints?

Thank you in advance!

Roy

In the included "GrapplingHook" sample scene, you can see a very basic implementation of this and the code used to accomplish it. The rope instantly shoots to the anchor position, and the character can climb up or down. This is done using the ObiRopeCursor component.

To do the spinning and throwing part (which is what is missing from the included example) you could pin one of the ends of the rope to a rigidbody and spin it programmatically. You could also "fake" it using a simple spring joint, or even by rotating an object around a pivot point and drawing a line between the pivot point and the object. It really depends on what type of feeling you're aiming for: more realistic, or "arcadey".