Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Obi Rope doesn't render after Scene restart
Hi,

I'm having an issue where one of my Obi Ropes doesn't render after restarting my scene. The first time I run my game the rope renders correctly. After restarting my scene using "SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name);" my rope still exists in the correct place but it just doesn't render. If i use "Edit Particles" in scene view I can see the particles of my rope are still in the correct place. This is the only rope affected in my scene. I have other ropes in my scene that are unaffected by this issue. 

I should note that I'm creating this rope at runtime using a modified version of the hookshot class that comes with the obi rope asset. The strange part is that the rope is being created correctly and everything is 100% functional except for the fact that on reload the rope is invisible.

Here's a picture showing before and after the scene restart:

[Image: ATVVGaa.png]
[Image: L1tgLJt.png]

Any hints on why this could be happening would be appreciated. I'll keep investigating in the mean time.

Thanks,
Logan
I've been investigating but I still can't find a solution to this one. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Logan
Hi!

Here's some more information that might help to solve this one. As you can see from my original post, the ObiRope actor is correctly generating the particles needed for the rope. The physics of the rope are also working correctly. The problem is purely visual. As you can see from the following screenshots, despite the particles being generated, after the scene resets the ObiRope actor stops generating a mesh for the rope.

Mesh Component for ObiRope before reset:

[Image: 7ch5lYL.png]

Mesh Component for ObiRope after reset:

[Image: dhnyJVq.png]

I don't really want to have to go into the internals of ObiRope to try to solve this bug if possible, especially if I don't have any clue where to start.

Let me know if you want any further information.

Any hints would help a lot.

Thank you,
Logan
(04-02-2019, 01:41 AM)CommonFruit Wrote: Hi!

Here's some more information that might help to solve this one. As you can see from my original post, the ObiRope actor is correctly generating the particles needed for the rope. The physics of the rope are also working correctly. The problem is purely visual. As you can see from the following screenshots, despite the particles being generated, after the scene resets the ObiRope actor stops generating a mesh for the rope.

Mesh Component for ObiRope before reset:

[Image: 7ch5lYL.png]

Mesh Component for ObiRope after reset:

[Image: dhnyJVq.png]

I don't really want to have to go into the internals of ObiRope to try to solve this bug if possible, especially if I don't have any clue where to start.

Let me know if you want any further information.

Any hints would help a lot.

Thank you,
Logan

I've been working on this one for a while. I tried a workaround by not destroying the rope on scene load but that was causing a variety of other issues and I felt that just reloading it is definitely the better solution since it works perfectly except the the problem of not rendering the rope. I also tried various other solutions - I found that if I start the scene with the rope disabled by default and then manually re-enable it, it will show up after the scene reset. This only works if I manually click the checkbox though and not if I do it through code (For some reason)

I really need this fixed by my playtest session on Monday February 25th or a major feature of the game won't be working. Any sort of work around or solution will do at this point. I'm getting a bit desperate here!

Any help would be appreciated!

Logan
Unsure if it's appropriate to bump an old thread like this, but I'm having the exact same issue and there was no resolution in this thread.

In my case, this is happening if I have two obi rope solvers in the scene. The first one renders fine, and the second renders fine on the first scene load, but subsequent scene loads cause the rope to not physically render in development or play mode. Very strange and a bit of a blocker - I'm creating a scene with multiple different rope categories and want them to have different properties. Like OP they render these thin white lines in the scene, but the actual rope with texture and thickness is missing.

Update: I think I solved this by changing two things. I'm not sure which ended up being "the" solution.

1. My first obi rope setup was part of a prefab. I unpacked the prefab.
2. Under the "working" solver that never broke, I created the rope I wanted to. Then, I transferred my rope to the solver that frequently had rendering issues. 

After these two steps, I haven't had the problem.