Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance optimisation and chain length questions?
Hi,

I recently started using Obi rope, works well so far. I have a couple questions if that is ok:
Performance optimisation and  chain length questions:

I took the sample chain from the chains scene, imported to my own scene. At runtime I notice that with the chain enabled I get around 250 FPS, if I disable the chain components then FPS goes back to 360-420 FPS, there seems to be a huge performance hit. I have tried to play with settings but but I can't seem to improve performance. Can some one help me with which settings I should look at?

Also for the same scene above, how do I lengthen the chain? I can't seem to do that (I could with a new rope). 

I would appreciate any pointers for the above.
(05-01-2019, 06:55 PM)khos85 Wrote: Hi,

I recently started using Obi rope, works well so far. I have a couple questions if that is ok:
Performance optimisation and  chain length questions:

I took the sample chain from the chains scene, imported to my own scene. At runtime I notice that with the chain enabled I get around 250 FPS, if I disable the chain components then FPS goes back to 360-420 FPS, there seems to be a huge performance hit. I have tried to play with settings but but I can't seem to improve performance. Can some one help me with which settings I should look at?

Also for the same scene above, how do I lengthen the chain? I can't seem to do that (I could with a new rope). 

I would appreciate any pointers for the above.

Hi there,

Never measure performance in FPS, as it does not scale linearly. Use ms/frame instead.

The difference between 360 and 250 fps is just 1.2 ms/frame. This same performance hit would get you from 31 to 30 fps, 65 to 60 fps, or 140 to 120 fps. Depending on how many chains you have in your scene, I'd say this is quite good performance.

About lengthening the chain, do you mean at runtime or in the editor?
Many thanks for reply and help. I have only one chain in the scene. I hear that your other asset called filo has much better performance, would it be possible for me to swap ob rope to this filo? I think that might suite my needs more. Please advise what is possible.

I would like to lengthen the chain in the editor, do I use a spine editor?
Thanks.
I would like to ask if anyone can help me with my question?