Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  A whole bunch of questions and feedback
Just getting started with Obi rope so there's a lot of small questions in this thread.

1. There's nothing in the docs about the ObiStitcher component at all as far as I can tell, not even in the api docs.  How do I use it? Specifically, how do I make stitches through code? I'm trying to make rope bridges, which in the end is going to be far too much work to set up by hand I'm sure. (Setting up anything by hand with Obi rope seems to take me a long time.) I've had some success with using pin constraints to attach ropes together, but that seems much more complicated than it has to be...

2. Can I use tether constraints on resizable ropes? Can I use tether constraints on ropes with handles on both ends, or should I always have one end fixed? What else should I do to make my rope less stretchy?

3. Do I need to leave the spline script on my rope or should I get rid of it once I initialize? Can I do anything to reshape a rope without re-initializing it?

4. Is there a simpler way of generating a rope of a set length than messing with the end points of a spline? I feel like I shouldn't have to manually line up 4 points any time I want a rope that hangs straight down.

5. Obi Rope would be easier to use if some of the required links tried to fill themselves if left empty. For example, Initialize does nothing if the rope curve is not set. It would be nice to check the current GO for a curve component before giving up. Likewise, if solver is null when it's needed for something, it would be nice if it found one in the scene -- you usually only have one after all. This is simple enough that I can probably add it myself, I'll let you know how it goes.

6. What causes the error in the attached screenshot? I see it a lot. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug?

Thanks so much!

-Lou

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)