Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Moving rope (attach/fixed point) without applying force to the rope
Hi

I have moving object which my object must be(or seem to be) attached to. What I need to do is have my rope moving with the object, without any (or a minimal amount of) force  being applied to the rope. In other words: the rope must hang straight down even though the parent object is moving.

Any suggestions or tips on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.
(03-10-2018, 09:19 AM)KjetilMV Wrote: Hi

I have moving object which my object must be(or seem to be) attached to. What I need to do is have my rope moving with the object, without any (or a minimal amount of) force  being applied to the rope. In other words: the rope must hang straight down even though the parent object is moving.

Any suggestions or tips on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, use local space simulation:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...space.html
(03-10-2018, 09:23 AM)josemendez Wrote: Yes, use local space simulation:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...space.html

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't get the extra solver parameters when turning on local space. Was this added in 3.5 (currently using 3.4) ?
(03-10-2018, 09:47 AM)KjetilMV Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't get the extra solver parameters when turning on local space. Was this added in 3.5 (currently using 3.4) ?

Yep, this was added in 3.5. However it simply gives finer control in comparison to 3.4, and enables inertial effects.

In 3.4 all actors (ObiRope) have a "world space velocity scale" slider, that acts as the linear+angular velocity scales in 3.5.
Thanks, again.

I get a lot of initial movement on the rope after changing to local.

I'm want to set the dampening on the solver at max at start, and then decrease it after my rope is created, but I can't find the variable. Can you point me in the right direction?
(03-10-2018, 10:56 AM)KjetilMV Wrote: Thanks, again.

I get a lot of initial movement on the rope after changing to local.

I'm want to set the dampening on the solver at max at start, and then decrease it after my rope is created, but I can't find the variable. Can you point me in the right direction?

Hi,

The rope should sit perfectly quiet if the setup is correct. Make sure the rope is a child of the solver, when in local space mode.

If you need to change dampening at runtime, do this:
Code:
solver.parameters.damping = 0.5f
solver.UpdateParameters();
When you have solver in local space mode: Does obi colliders also need to be child objects to the solver?
(03-10-2018, 12:45 PM)KjetilMV Wrote: When you have solver in local space mode: Does obi colliders also need to be child objects to the solver?

In 3.4, yes. Not necessary anymore in 3.5.
Dedo arriba 
Great! That would have been to big problem for us. Thanks again.