Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Fluid is gone in all scenes
I've been making many changes to my project for a couple of weeks... not all of them have been committed to git or documented. Unfortunately, I just noticed a severe issue with Obi Fluid in my project. Fluid will not render in any scenes in my project, not even in Obi's own sample scenes. The only thing I've seen that can kind of get the fluid to show up is by checking Render in an Obi Particle Renderer in one of my scenes. But even that made it so that the fluid only shows up in the sky, which makes no sense to me. Moreover, I cannot see the fluid in the Scene tab; only in the Game tab.

I am very confused by all this... I must have altered some kind of setting which affects how fluids are emitted or rendered or something. Where can I look to determine the root cause of this issue?
(06-06-2018, 06:54 AM)veelox Wrote: I've been making many changes to my project for a couple of weeks... not all of them have been committed to git or documented. Unfortunately, I just noticed a severe issue with Obi Fluid in my project. Fluid will not render in any scenes in my project, not even in Obi's own sample scenes. The only thing I've seen that can kind of get the fluid to show up is by checking Render in an Obi Particle Renderer in one of my scenes. But even that made it so that the fluid only shows up in the sky, which makes no sense to me. Moreover, I cannot see the fluid in the Scene tab; only in the Game tab.

I am very confused by all this... I must have altered some kind of setting which affects how fluids are emitted or rendered or something. Where can I look to determine the root cause of this issue?

Hi,

Fluid is rendered using a screen-space approach, as long as the required shaders are present in the project everything should render correctly no matter what your render settings are. However without taking a look at your project and the changes made to it over the course of these two weeks it is pretty much impossible to figure out the cause.

First thing I'd do is to re-import the asset (to rule out missing shaders) and see if this fixes it. You can always return back to your previous state using git.

Fluid is never rendered in the Scene tab. As a post-process effect that makes use of command buffers, it can only be rendered in the Game tab.
(06-06-2018, 10:31 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Fluid is rendered using a screen-space approach, as long as the required shaders are present in the project everything should render correctly no matter what your render settings are. However without taking a look at your project and the changes made to it over the course of these two weeks it is pretty much impossible to figure out the cause.

First thing I'd do is to re-import the asset (to rule out missing shaders) and see if this fixes it. You can always return back to your previous state using git.

Fluid is never rendered in the Scene tab. As a post-process effect that makes use of command buffers, it can only be rendered in the Game tab.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have found one thing which is related to missing shaders. Previously, while trying to get my project to be compatible with Unity 2018, I had some errors from Obi Fluid about shaders. So I had to remove a shader from the build; namely, ParticleShader.shader. Unfortunately, other aspects of my project turned out to be incompatible with Unity 2018 so I had to revert back to Unity 2017. Yet, this shader was still removed from the build.

I didn't remember that it had been removed from the build until I faced this issue. I put the shader back into the build, but the problem hasn't gone away. I've tried re-importing all my assets as well as regenerating the Library folder of my project. Sadly, neither of these attempts has fixed the issue so it seems that the root cause of the problem lies elsewhere. But that doesn't make much sense because all of my other changes have nothing to do with Obi Fluid. Do you think that this shader is somehow corrupted now or otherwise causing this issue?

Also, thank you for clarifying about the Scene tab. I was not aware of that.
(06-06-2018, 10:31 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Well, I solved my issue. First, as a sanity check, I reinstalled Obi Fluid from the Asset Store and that made the Obi sample scenes work again. I guess perhaps there really was something wrong with the way that the assets were serialized.

Anyway, after doing that I realized that there must also be something wrong which was specific to my scene. It was that I did not have the Shader property set in my Obi Particle Renderer. That must have initially been unset due to my removal of the Particle Shader from the build. After setting that property once again, the scene was able to render fluid perfectly.

Thanks for tipping me off to the fact that there really was something wrong regarding the shader! I never would have figured it out without your confirmation of that.
(08-06-2018, 03:15 AM)veelox Wrote: Well, I solved my issue. First, as a sanity check, I reinstalled Obi Fluid from the Asset Store and that made the Obi sample scenes work again. I guess perhaps there really was something wrong with the way that the assets were serialized.

Anyway, after doing that I realized that there must also be something wrong which was specific to my scene. It was that I did not have the Shader property set in my Obi Particle Renderer. That must have initially been unset due to my removal of the Particle Shader from the build. After setting that property once again, the scene was able to render fluid perfectly.

Thanks for tipping me off to the fact that there really was something wrong regarding the shader! I never would have figured it out without your confirmation of that.

Glad you figured it out! Sonrisa it makes sense now.