Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding Obi's performance in VR
Hi all,

I'm new here (also new to Obi). I recently used ObiCloth for my VR project. I do have a few quick questions:

1. Does ObiCloth (or any other Obi) utilize multithreading? If so, could someone point me as to where it is implemented?
  2. I'm thinking about getting Obi Fluid as well for my VR project, but before I do, has anyone tried using it for VR? Is it fast enough to be used (with minimal settings)?
Thanks,
Shade
(22-05-2018, 04:38 PM)Shade Wrote: Hi all,

I'm new here (also new to Obi). I recently used ObiCloth for my VR project. I do have a few quick questions:

1. Does ObiCloth (or any other Obi) utilize multithreading? If so, could someone point me as to where it is implemented?
  2. I'm thinking about getting Obi Fluid as well for my VR project, but before I do, has anyone tried using it for VR? Is it fast enough to be used (with minimal settings)?
Thanks,
Shade

Hi,

All Obi products use multithreading and vectorization by default. Multithreading is taken advantage of by a thread pool backed task-based system. The amount of threads used is automatically calculated depending on the amount of logical cores in your device and the system performs load balancing automatically, this is transparent to the user.

Since VR only impacts rendering performance (physics are unaffected), Obi Cloth and Obi Rope are completely VR-agnostic (they work as well as in non-VR projects). Obi Cloth in particular has been used for VR quite successfully:

ObiFluid however has a quite complex fluid rendering system bolted on top, and it does not support single-pass stereo rendering so special set up is needed for VR. Namely, you need to use separate cameras for each eye, each one with its own fluid renderer.
(23-05-2018, 10:32 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

All Obi products use multithreading and vectorization by default. Multithreading is taken advantage of by a thread pool backed task-based system. The amount of threads used is automatically calculated depending on the amount of logical cores in your device and the system performs load balancing automatically, this is transparent to the user.

Since VR only impacts rendering performance (physics are unaffected), Obi Cloth and Obi Rope are completely VR-agnostic (they work as well as in non-VR projects). Obi Cloth in particular has been used for VR quite successfully:

ObiFluid however has a quite complex fluid rendering system bolted on top, and it does not support single-pass stereo rendering so special set up is needed for VR. Namely, you need to use separate cameras for each eye, each one with its own fluid renderer.

Hello,
How do I achieve similar interaction? Grab and pull clothes in VR.

Thank You
(18-07-2019, 08:07 AM)ctalDai Wrote: Hello,
How do I achieve similar interaction? Grab and pull clothes in VR.

Thank You

Hi,

It's completely up to you. This was implemented by Virtual Voyagers themselves during the development of their tool. You have access to all per-particle properties trough our API, so you can set their masses, positions, etc... according to the user's input.

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...icles.html