Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-uniform spacing of verts
I have a problem where the rope hanging from the end of my crane swings like a penduluum, but I want it to have some stiffness so as you rotate the crane it doesnt sway so much.  The rope starts at the tip of the crane arm.

I'd like to put two verts close together right at the top of my rope, so I can enforce a low-bending cable running off the end of a crane (see picture).
Alternatively, having the ability to pin 'angle' and not just 'position' would work too. 

Anyways to accomplish this?

Thank you!
(17-05-2018, 10:36 PM)John Krajewski Wrote: I have a problem where the rope hanging from the end of my crane swings like a penduluum, but I want it to have some stiffness so as you rotate the crane it doesnt sway so much.  The rope starts at the tip of the crane arm.

I'd like to put two verts close together right at the top of my rope, so I can enforce a low-bending cable running off the end of a crane (see picture).
Alternatively, having the ability to pin 'angle' and not just 'position' would work too. 

Anyways to accomplish this?

Thank you!

Hi John,

Particle sampling is always homogeneous for ropes, no way to make a particular pair closer together than the rest. Moreover, particles have only position, not orientation, and bending constraints act on particle triads (see:http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials/bendingconstraints.html).

The only solution is to fix/pin the first two particles. Alternatively you can increase the solver's velocity damping, this will prevent the rope from swinging too much, for too long.