Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Initial State/Save State for Obi Solves
Quick question to all readers,

A lot of simulation environments, especially particle driven ones (off the top of my head RealFlow and Fume), have the ability to create initial or save states in your simulation, meaning that the very first frame (or in the case of game environments, at runtime I presume) of your simulation can be set to something other than the resting state of a mesh/particle field/whatever.

Is there such a feature, or at least one with similar functionality in Obi Cloth? I'm trying to make a curtain that can be pulled in a HTC Vive VR environment across the pole above the window from which it hangs on by the user's hands. I'm currently doing this by dropping the cloth horizontally onto the pole's collider, but it is obviously not correct or effective to wait for the cloth to drop and all the motion to "wring out" of the cloth in the interim. And seemingly, Unity's cloth modifier does not have this functionality.

All possible solutions are appreciated Sonrisa
(08-05-2018, 07:39 PM)TheTTimeLives Wrote: Quick question to all readers,

A lot of simulation environments, especially particle driven ones (off the top of my head RealFlow and Fume), have the ability to create initial or save states in your simulation, meaning that the very first frame (or in the case of game environments, at runtime I presume) of your simulation can be set to something other than the resting state of a mesh/particle field/whatever.

Is there such a feature, or at least one with similar functionality in Obi Cloth? I'm trying to make a curtain that can be pulled in a HTC Vive VR environment across the pole above the window from which it hangs on by the user's hands. I'm currently doing this by dropping the cloth horizontally onto the pole's collider, but it is obviously not correct or effective to wait for the cloth to drop and all the motion to "wring out" of the cloth in the interim. And seemingly, Unity's cloth modifier does not have this functionality.

All possible solutions are appreciated Sonrisa

Hi,

Yes, this is possible with Obi. You can advance the simulator in-editor using the particle editor, pause it at the frame where you want the simulation to start during the game, then press "Set rest state" in the cloth inspector. This replaces the initial particle positions and velocities with the ones at that frame.

kind regards,