Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Pull chain through hoop
I'm trying to create a chain that can be pulled through a hoop using Obi Rope. I essentially made a 4 objects with obi colliders on them, and arranged them in a square shape for the hoop. After that I tried to shape a spline for the chain so that it can loop through the hoop. Handles were then created for the ends of the rope. The problem is that if I pull very very gently on the chain it stays and slides through the hoop but if I pull a bit faster it just goes through the hoop, and falls to the ground.

Distance constraints is already set to 1, and distance iterations on the solver is set to 10 with the other constraint iterations set to 2 or 3. Is there some sort of settings that will help to make the collision more solid? 

This is a VR project so I want to allow the user to pull on the chain through the hoop with their hands. 

I've looked at the crane example, and it seems like having a larger collider helps but I need a fairly small hoop, and don't want the chain to "float" around it.
(04-05-2018, 05:06 PM)darkcser Wrote: I'm trying to create a chain that can be pulled through a hoop using Obi Rope. I essentially made a 4 objects with obi colliders on them, and arranged them in a square shape for the hoop. After that I tried to shape a spline for the chain so that it can loop through the hoop. Handles were then created for the ends of the rope. The problem is that if I pull very very gently on the chain it stays and slides through the hoop but if I pull a bit faster it just goes through the hoop, and falls to the ground.

Distance constraints is already set to 1, and distance iterations on the solver is set to 10 with the other constraint iterations set to 2 or 3. Is there some sort of settings that will help to make the collision more solid? 

This is a VR project so I want to allow the user to pull on the chain through the hoop with their hands. 

I've looked at the crane example, and it seems like having a larger collider helps but I need a fairly small hoop, and don't want the chain to "float" around it.

Assuming you're not running into classical tunneling issues (as thin and/or fast moving objects are the main cause of tunneling), probably distance constraints aren't tight enough to keep particles together, and gaps open in the rope. In any the case, increasing the amount of substeps in ObiSolver will help a lot.

You can tell exactly what is happening by adding a ObiParticleRenderer component to the rope to see the actual particles that make up the rope and how they behave (disabling the MeshRenderer helps getting a clearer view).