Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Make it rain
Hello,

I'm trying to emit particles over a large-ish area and have them drip out, like rain.

The closest i can get is to make the emitter radius cover the area, but the water comes out in bursts regardless of if it's on burst or stream. I'm looking to get a sporadic drip feed over the area. Is this possible?

Thank you!
(03-05-2018, 08:20 AM)Jaydena Wrote: Hello,

I'm trying to emit particles over a large-ish area and have them drip out, like rain.

The closest i can get is to make the emitter radius cover the area, but the water comes out in bursts regardless of if it's on burst or stream. I'm looking to get a sporadic drip feed over the area. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Unlike a regular particle emitter, the built-in fluid emitters are designed to generate a continuous stream of fluid. If you enlarge the radius of say, a disk emitter, it will generate more sample points to ensure no gaps are left in between particles. If your emitters particle count is not large enough to even cover the surface of the emitter, it will emit all particles at once, wait for them to "die", then emit them again in a different part of the emitter.

You can, however, use multiple emitter shapes scattered around a large area, and attach them to the same emitter. Think of this as having multiple "faucets" attached to the same water tank. This should work.

Imho what you're trying to do seems more like a job for regular particles: rain drops are pretty much independent from each other, no fluid mechanics will be appreciable. Are you sure paying the (quite large) overhead of performing a full fluid simulation is ok just for a rain-like effect?
(03-05-2018, 08:28 AM)josemendez Wrote: Unlike a regular particle emitter, the built-in fluid emitters are designed to generate a continuous stream of fluid. If you enlarge the radius of say, a disk emitter, it will generate more sample points to ensure no gaps are left in between particles. If your emitters particle count is not large enough to even cover the surface of the emitter, it will emit all particles at once, wait for them to "die", then emit them again in a different part of the emitter.

You can, however, use multiple emitter shapes scattered around a large area, and attach them to the same emitter. Think of this as having multiple "faucets" attached to the same water tank. This should work.

Imho what you're trying to do seems more like a job for regular particles: rain drops are pretty much independent from each other, no fluid mechanics will be appreciable. Are you sure paying the (quite large) overhead of performing a full fluid simulation is ok just for a rain-like effect?

I figured that would be the problem.

The multiple faucets approach would work best cheers!

It's just one aspect of how we're using the fluid. Essentially we're showing showing the effects of fluid flowing across "topographic maps" (3d landscapes) and how they pool in the regions and divots below. We're also using this to make volcano's and emitting water at particular places which it is suiting our requirements amazingly so thank you for such a great product.