Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain Scale Issue
I'm trying to create a chain with fairly small links so that it is in scale with other objects in my VR scene. My Obi Rope resolution is already set to the max of 1 but when I reduce the link scale on the default chain link prefabs to 1, the links no longer touch one another. 

I can change the link scale so that the chain links touch each other but when I scale the  Obi Rope object itself so the chain is in scale with the rest of my scene, the rope simulation becomes very odd in that it becomes very elastic with the links being very far from one another.

Am I missing something obvious? 

Thanks.
(19-04-2018, 02:10 AM)darkcser Wrote: I'm trying to create a chain with fairly small links so that it is in scale with other objects in my VR scene. My Obi Rope resolution is already set to the max of 1 but when I reduce the link scale on the default chain link prefabs to 1, the links no longer touch one another. 

I can change the link scale so that the chain links touch each other but when I scale the  Obi Rope object itself so the chain is in scale with the rest of my scene, the rope simulation becomes very odd in that it becomes very elastic with the links being very far from one another.

Am I missing something obvious? 

Thanks.

See my answer to you post in the Obi Cloth section. Affine transforms only work on rigid objects, you cannot scale a deformable object in any meaningful way.

If you want smaller links, reduce the rope's thickness and re-initialize it. This will make its particles smaller, so that more particles (and chain links) fit per rope unit length.
(20-04-2018, 09:15 AM)josemendez Wrote: See my answer to you post in the Obi Cloth section. Affine transforms only work on rigid objects, you cannot scale a deformable object in any meaningful way.

If you want smaller links, reduce the rope's thickness and re-initialize it. This will make its particles smaller, so that more particles (and chain links) fit per rope unit length.

Thanks for the response. I just realized that it's the thickness property that pops up after "Thickness from particle" is unchecked is the one that I should be modifying, and not the section thickness scale. Once I did that, the number of particles changed, and I was able to scale the links.