Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help  Obi Simple Fluid Renderer Invisible
Hi there, I loaded the Fluid Foam example scene and changed the Obi Fluid Renderer to Obi Simple Fluid Renderer to reflect the project you had on your blog, which illustrated the updates to 3.4 (particularly the new ObiSimpleFluidRenderer).

However, after trying to get ObiSimpleFluidRenderer in my own project I'm running into issues. Although the particles are being emitted (and visible with the Obi Particlie Renderer 'Render' flag is set to true), when this flag is disabled, nothing is shown on screen.

I've attached screen shots of my emitter, solver and ObiSimpleFluidRenderer which is attached to the main camera.

Any pointers as to where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-04-2018, 05:16 PM)AntLewis Wrote: Hi there, I loaded the Fluid Foam example scene and changed the Obi Fluid Renderer to Obi Simple Fluid Renderer to reflect the project you had on your blog, which illustrated the updates to 3.4 (particularly the new ObiSimpleFluidRenderer).

However, after trying to get ObiSimpleFluidRenderer in my own project I'm running into issues. Although the particles are being emitted (and visible with the Obi Particlie Renderer 'Render' flag is set to true), when this flag is disabled, nothing is shown on screen.

I've attached screen shots of my emitter, solver and ObiSimpleFluidRenderer which is attached to the main camera.

Any pointers as to where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks!

Still struggling with this - any suggestions?

Thanks!
(10-04-2018, 08:18 AM)AntLewis Wrote: Still struggling with this - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi there!

It is hard to say what's happening without taking a look at the scene set up. It might be something else in the scene interfering with rendering, specially if it does work for you in one of the sample scenes. Couple questions:

- If you set the Thickness cutoff parameters to its minimum (0.01), can you see the fluid?
- Does the regular FluidRenderer work?
(10-04-2018, 09:55 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

It is hard to say what's happening without taking a look at the scene set up. It might be something else in the scene interfering with rendering, specially if it does work for you in one of the sample scenes. Couple questions:

- If you set the Thickness cutoff parameters to its minimum (0.01), can you see the fluid?
- Does the regular FluidRenderer work?

So there's no change in behaviour if I change the Thickness cutoff paramter. And yeah, the regular FluidRenderer does work.
Cheers
(10-04-2018, 11:38 AM)AntLewis Wrote: So there's no change in behaviour if I change the Thickness cutoff paramter. And yeah, the regular FluidRenderer does work.
Cheers

Does the simple fluid renderer work for you in say, the FluidMill sample scene? I've tried it in all sample scenes, both in Mac and PC and works correctly...
(10-04-2018, 12:03 PM)josemendez Wrote: Does the simple fluid renderer work for you in say, the FluidMill sample scene? I've tried it in all sample scenes, both in Mac and PC and works correctly...

Ok, it turns out that the Obi Simple Fluid Renderer doesn't seem to render with an Orthographic camera - I tried this in your test scenes and I get the same result. Switch to perspective and it works as expected. Is this expected behaviour or a bug?

Thanks for the support.
(10-04-2018, 12:59 PM)AntLewis Wrote: Ok, it turns out that the Obi Simple Fluid Renderer doesn't seem to render with an Orthographic camera - I tried this in your test scenes and I get the same result. Switch to perspective and it works as expected. Is this expected behaviour or a bug?

Thanks for the support.

Hi,

It does work with orthographic cameras. Try the "SimpleFluid" sample scene or the "FluidFoam" scenes, they both use orthographic cameras, and in both the SimpleFluidRenderer works (at least for us).

Make sure your near/far planes have sane values (non negative near plane, not huge far plane, etc)
(10-04-2018, 01:20 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

It does work with orthographic cameras. Try the "SimpleFluid" sample scene or the "FluidFoam" scenes, they both use orthographic cameras, and in both the SimpleFluidRenderer works (at least for us).

Make sure your near/far planes have sane values (non negative near plane, not huge far plane, etc)

Ah yes, it was the near/far planes that were causing the issue - thanks so much.

Out of interest the SimpleFluid scene didn't work for me due to a missing script (all others did) (see attached screenshot). To double check, I created a completely new project and imported the package fresh and I received the same error. All other scripts seemed fine. For reference I'm using 2017.3.1f1

Again, thanks for the support - superb.
Got the same issue but adjusting clipping planes was not enough for me. I could see some kind of shadows. At least something was visible. Then changing camera background form solid to sky showed me I had to play with the alpha channel of my background.