Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Determinism in the physics engine
Hi, 

I'm looking into using Obi Rope and maybe some of the other solutions for a game that has a rather complex setup. 
We're using three machines on which the game runs simultanously, and one projection is created from the renders of those machines. 
Therefore I was wondering whether the Obi physics engine is determenistic. 

Thanks!
(06-04-2018, 09:46 AM)berend Wrote: Hi, 

I'm looking into using Obi Rope and maybe some of the other solutions for a game that has a rather complex setup. 
We're using three machines on which the game runs simultanously, and one projection is created from the renders of those machines. 
Therefore I was wondering whether the Obi physics engine is determenistic. 

Thanks!

Hi,

Nope, Obi is not guaranteed to be deterministic. While it behaves pretty consistently between runs, it is not guaranteed to behave *exactly* the same every time. Since Unity's physics engine (PhysX) is also non-deterministic, it's also impossible for us to guarantee determinism when ropes interact with regular rigidbodies.
(06-04-2018, 10:52 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Nope, Obi is not guaranteed to be deterministic. While it behaves pretty consistently between runs, it is not guaranteed to behave *exactly* the same every time. Since Unity's physics engine (PhysX) is also non-deterministic, it's also impossible for us to guarantee determinism when ropes interact with regular rigidbodies.

I see! Thanks for the quick reply!