Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Option for a 3 in 1 package?
While I like that its possible to buy the 3 Obi assets individually, I also think it would make sense to sell all 3 in one package as well. Not to replace those 3 assets, but to sell all 3 in one, maybe as a package deal.

I would like to buy all 3, but if there was an asset with all 3 included, I would be much more likely to buy all 3 at first, instead of buying one, try it out, and then wait with the next asset, even though I do think I would eventually buy all 3 anyway.

I know other sellers / providers on the Unity Asset Store make several individual assets, and then sometimes make one big package that include several of these other assets. It will require you to update this big collection every time just one of the individual assets are update... or at least that would be nice if you did, but other than that there does not really seem to be any downside to this I would think.
(22-03-2018, 07:46 PM)Caldor Wrote: While I like that its possible to buy the 3 Obi assets individually, I also think it would make sense to sell all 3 in one package as well. Not to replace those 3 assets, but to sell all 3 in one, maybe as a package deal.

I would like to buy all 3, but if there was an asset with all 3 included, I would be much more likely to buy all 3 at first, instead of buying one, try it out, and then wait with the next asset, even though I do think I would eventually buy all 3 anyway.

I know other sellers / providers on the Unity Asset Store make several individual assets, and then sometimes make one big package that include several of these other assets. It will require you to update this big collection every time just one of the individual assets are update... or at least that would be nice if you did, but other than that there does not really seem to be any downside to this I would think.

Hi Caldor!

We thought about this in the past, and it is likely that we will end up doing it.

In the future, when we add more assets to the collection (that will happen), do you think it would be wise to add these new assets to the discounted package, consequently increasing its price? Maybe people that have already bought it and want to upgrade would feel ripped off if not interested in the new additions... we could of course keep multiple packages (rope+cloth, rope+fluid, rope+fluid+cloth, rope+fluid+cloth+softbodies, etc) to avoid forcing people to upgrade to a larger, more expensive deal but that seems a bit too aggressive marketing to me, and also confusing for the end user.

What we like about the current model is that you only pay for what you use, it is simple to understand, and the price is not so high as to scare off indie developers (or so we think).

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up, so that other forum users can give their opinion on the matter Sonrisa
Well, once a 3 in one package is made, then if a new product is added, if its a small asset... which I doubt with this system as it would probably be something similar to the first 3, but if it was small then maybe it would be an option to add it to the first package. Pretty sure the people who bought it would not complain about that.

At some point you will probably reach version 4 or something, and then you might make a new package deal anyway, if you are going to make new deals for each individual product, then that only makes sense. Maybe the new asset could then just be added to this new 4 in 1 package then when that version hits, and until then be without a package.

I have not tried releasing anything for sale of this kind on the Asset Store or anywhere really so its mainly speculation on my side. I dont think people would be dissapointed not to get the newest asset when / if you release a new Obi asset. The new package would end up costing more, and the ones who bought the first pack paid less. Sure they would then have to pay full price for this new one, but you cannot really get around that I think. Not in any easy way anyway. Hmmm... wait I think the Asset Store actually does have an "upgrade" option for assets you bought.

Its for when you make a new version of some asset, like say version 4 of Obi maybe, and do not want to make your current customers pay full price for the upgrade, so you can give them an upgrade price instead. That could work for the package deal as well... no idea how that all works though, but I have seen it being done with some of the assets I own.

Well... I have been looking for a good fluid system for a long time, so I will just start out buying Obi Fluids, then I will probably buy the other two next month or something.

I see Obi even got updated to 3.4 yesterday... seems to be amazing improvements. I have been looking at other solutions for a few months, but they always seemed to be very limited in various ways. Some are based on Nvidia Flex and just seems to have been implemented in a way that does not seem especially dynamic or user friendly. Other solutions are just overall not good enough with the physics and so on.

You seem to somehow be fixing all the problems the other systems have, so I cannot wait to try this out. I hope to use it in VR, so I expect performance could quickly become an issue. But I feel these sort of effects and systems is what can really make a difference for VR when it comes to such games being immersive. I also looked into Final IK and its VR-IK system which makes it possible to have a VR avatar that moves around with you and has its legs follow you around trying to make the movement of the legs seem natural. It has a few quirks, but still works surprisingly well I think.

Ropes and cloth is also something that could be really cool to add. I have been looking into several solutions for ropes as well, but none of them seemed to be well suited for a grappling hook. This one seems very well suited for it though, so going to have to give that a try as well.