Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help  Marvelous Designer to Obi
Hello,

We have started using Marvelous Designer to design costumes for characters in Unity. We are using Morph3D (MCS) as a character system. My question is if it is possible to apply obi's cloth effects to marvelous designer clothes inside unity3d. Do you just attach script on the cloth itself, and then adjust properties?

I did see one robe example in the intro video, but I am not sure if it simply can turn a rigid character cloth to cloth physics. I am looking for something that is similar to what happens inside Marvelous Designer when you simulate the cloth.

Thank you for directions.
(20-03-2018, 04:53 AM)pegassy Wrote: Hello,

We have started using Marvelous Designer to design costumes for characters in Unity. We are using Morph3D (MCS) as a character system. My question is if it is possible to apply obi's cloth effects to marvelous designer clothes inside unity3d. Do you just attach script on the cloth itself, and then adjust properties?

I did see one robe example in the intro video, but I am not sure if it simply can turn a rigid character cloth to cloth physics. I am looking for something that is similar to what happens inside Marvelous Designer when you simulate the cloth.

Thank you for directions.

Hi there,

Obi is a cloth simulator, not unlike what Marvellous Designer uses internally. However they're designed with very different purposes in mind, so depending on what you need chances are you won't be able to replicate it in Obi.

Most notable difference is that in Obi (and most other game-oriented cloth simulators), realtime character clothing requires the cloth to be skinned to the same skeleton as the character. It cannot detect collisions directly against a deformable (animated) character mesh like MD does, it uses skinning instead. Also it doesn't support multiple cloth layers, at least not the way MD does.

Often it needs fine tuning of mesh topology to ensure good surface deformation. Unlike MD, Obi does not use continuum dynamics. This means the material is not anisotropic (you cannot independently control stretch/shear stiffnesses like you can in MD).

Depending on your specific needs you might be able to accomplish what you need using Obi, but it certainly won't be plug-and-play and will require relatively deep knowledge about character rigging and physics set up, so use at your own risk.

cheers!
Thank you for the answer. That was really thorough and gave a good perspective.