Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  How to Pause or Freeze Rope?
Hi,

I am using obi rope version 7, I have one solver at the root and multiple ropes in hierarchy downwards. I need to freeze or pause the rope in some cases like its rendered but freezed and not moving even if its parent object is moving too. Is it possible to achieve that? Is it also possible to do it for only one rope explicitly even if one solver is controlling multiple ropes?

Also can I extract a mesh in editor and may be replace it with a rope at runtime to depict a freeze?
(02-08-2024, 08:12 AM)vrtraining Wrote: I am using obi rope version 7, I have one solver at the root and multiple ropes in hierarchy downwards. I need to freeze or pause the rope in some cases like its rendered but freezed

Hi,

You can freeze/pause simulation by setting the solver's max steps per frame to zero. Rendering will still be updated and performed.

(02-08-2024, 08:12 AM)vrtraining Wrote: and not moving even if its parent object is moving too.

That's not possible due to the way transforms work: anytime the parent transform moves, its child transforms move with it.

(02-08-2024, 08:12 AM)vrtraining Wrote: Is it also possible to do it for only one rope explicitly even if one solver is controlling multiple ropes?

No, since the solver performs a single simulation for all ropes in it: it either updates the simulation or it doesn't.

(02-08-2024, 08:12 AM)vrtraining Wrote: Also can I extract a mesh in editor and may be replace it with a rope at runtime to depict a freeze?

Yes, right click the rope's extruded renderer and select "Bake Mesh". This will extract and store the current mesh as an asset file in your project, that you can then use as a regular mesh. However re-creating a rope out of a static mesh is not possible.

What's the purpose of this "freezing" in your game? is it due to performance issues?

kind regards,
(02-08-2024, 09:06 AM)josemendez Wrote: What's the purpose of this "freezing" in your game? is it due to performance issues?

Not the OP but running into a similar situation with the Obi 7 upgrade. In my case, I am dynamically lashing objects together and then freezing the rope to save on performance (while keeping the aesthetics).
(02-08-2024, 09:06 AM)josemendez Wrote: What's the purpose of this "freezing" in your game? is it due to performance issues?

Thanks for such a detailed response, it solves my problem. 

Actually I'm using Quest VR and grabbing the rope using Unity XRI Toolkit and as soon as I grab it it changes the parent and brings it on top and its no longer connected to solver in its actual parent, so I just needed freeze it for a while.