Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Fluid for cooking simulation?
Thinking about purchasing Obi Fluid. I assume some soup in pot would be easy to do. But I also have an idea of making eggs. When you crack an egg the insides are liquid (though somewhat viscous). When you pour an egg into a flat surface it should behave like a normal egg, i.e. stay as a clump and not disappear. After cooking it should become more rigid (ideally increase viscosity smoothly over time). Is it possible to do using Obi Fluid?
(11-03-2024, 10:06 PM)stepkka Wrote: Thinking about purchasing Obi Fluid. I assume some soup in pot would be easy to do. But I also have an idea of making eggs. When you crack an egg the insides are liquid (though somewhat viscous). When you pour an egg into a flat surface it should behave like a normal egg, i.e. stay as a clump and not disappear. After cooking it should become more rigid (ideally increase viscosity smoothly over time). Is it possible to do using Obi Fluid?

Hi,

A cooked egg is far more than "viscous": it doesn't behave like a fluid at all, more like an elastic solid. You can't turn fluids into softbodies or solids by just cranking up viscosity, so this wouldn't work - specially since high viscosity values require small time steps to remain stable, and small timesteps heavily affect performance.

Afaik, the only way to achieve this is to blend entirely different material constitutive models at runtime. The only simulation method that allows to do this (to my knowledge) is the material point method or MPM. There's very few realtime MPM or MLS-MPM based simulators out there (Zibra Liquid is one of them), and even fewer that model more than one material type since they typically restrict themselves to only fluids, softbodies or granulars.

kind regards,
Hmm, if fluid wouldn't work, is it worth to try softbody? I guess a raw egg does not need to be liquid, it just needs to behave like an extremely soft jelly. When it's on a frypan it should flatten due to gravity. Then I can increase its rigidity over time when its cooked.
So can Obi Softbody be used to imitate a raw egg?
(13-03-2024, 01:00 PM)stepkka Wrote: Hmm, if fluid wouldn't work, is it worth to try softbody? I guess a raw egg does not need to be liquid, it just needs to behave like an extremely soft jelly. When it's on a frypan it should flatten due to gravity. Then I can increase its rigidity over time when its cooked.
So can Obi Softbody be used to imitate a raw egg?

If you just want to go from very soft softbody (not actual fluid, that is, the topology of the mesh doesn't change) to a hard softbody, then this might work by increasing the softbody's deformation resistance. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html
(13-03-2024, 03:12 PM)josemendez Wrote: If you just want to go from very soft softbody (not actual fluid, that is, the topology of the mesh doesn't change) to a hard softbody, then this might work by increasing the softbody's deformation resistance. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html

Interesting. I guess this thread drifts into Softbody realm from Liquid. But ok, so an egg should be an extremely soft softbody (let's say stiffness of 0.01 and low plastic creep) at the moment of cracking, and as it cooks it should increase stiffness.. Sounds plausible?
If I increase stiffness, plastic yield and creep after a softbody has been deformed will it try to return to blueprint shape or to the shape it was at the runtime moment?