Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stitching a Rod to Rope - another attempt at fishing rod
Trying to stitch a rope to the end of a rod. Created a GO, added a stitcher component. 
1. Rigidbodies were created automatically. By default it had gravity enabled and 1 kg weight. During runtime it was falling down to infinity. I've set it to not use gravity, now it floats around arbitrarily. Is that ok? I'd imagine it should stay somewhere close to the stitches.
2. The default new stitch points are in the middle of rod and rope. I figured out how to change them. However, if I exit the prefab mode and enter it again, the stitch points are back to default.
3. In any case, stitch does work but it stitches wrong points. I have 4 control points in rod blueprint and 2 control points in rope blueprint. At runtime, the stitching seems to happen between the rod at the point index 1 and some arbitrary point near the start of rope.

OK, just figured out that the stitch point gizmos are for the new stitches. I was trying to adjust them after I created a stitch. The correct workflow is to adjust the points, then press Add Stitch button. Now the stitch is at the correct position.
The first question still stands, what to do with an arbitrary rigidbody floating around?
The first question still stands, what to do with an arbitrary rigidbody floating around?

Hi!

(15-02-2024, 12:56 PM)stepkka Wrote: 1. Rigidbodies were created automatically. By default it had gravity enabled and 1 kg weight. During runtime it was falling down to infinity. I've set it to not use gravity, now it floats around arbitrarily. Is that ok? I'd imagine it should stay somewhere close to the stitches.

What do you mean by rigidbodies being created "automatically"? Do you actually want the object to be a rigidbody? there isn't any technical reason why the object you attach to a rope should be a rigidbody, though if this is intended to be the weight at the tip of the fishing line using a rigidbody is fine. Also, why do you mention "I'd imagine it should stay somewhere close to the stitches"? stitches should be used to attach two particles, which in this context (a fishing rod) only makes sense to be used to stitch the fishing rod to the fishing line. To attach a rigidbody to a particle, use a dynamic attachment instead.

(15-02-2024, 12:56 PM)stepkka Wrote: The first question still stands, what to do with an arbitrary rigidbody floating around?

I'm quite confused by this, could you clarify?. If you don't need the rigidbody or don't know what to use it for, you can just delete it. It is not needed to simulate a rope or a rod, and unless you've created it yourself it shouldn't appear.

kind regards,
Both Unity and Obi rigidbodies were created automatically on the object with the Stitcher script. I deleted them a couple of times but they appeared again. I thought it's the Stitcher that creates them. Anyways, that was happening at the time of original post. Today I deleted these rigidbodies again and they don't come back lol. Sorry for confusion.
(16-02-2024, 09:33 AM)stepkka Wrote: Both Unity and Obi rigidbodies were created automatically on the object with the Stitcher script. I deleted them a couple of times but they appeared again. I thought it's the Stitcher that creates them. Anyways, that was happening at the time of original post. Today I deleted these rigidbodies again and they don't come back lol. Sorry for confusion.

There's nothing in ObiStitcher that would create a Rigidbody or a ObiRigidbody, so not sure where those came from. Glad they didn't stick around though! Sonrisa