Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rope tearing like Zip Tie
I've gone through the little samples, and I see the ropes tearing, but when I make a new Zip Tie Obi Rope (.5 resolution, .1 size, 1 particle pool) and enable tearing (tested 10-450 in resistance and -1 - 5 on the other line) and I have it set as a small U shape (rotated 90deg so the bottom of the U is sticking out of the wall) and make another rope going through the U (.5 resolution) not tearable.
and when I pull the 2nd rope to strain the "zip tie"... it bends but then at its strain point, the 2nd rope passes through the zip tie instead of breaking the zip tie. 

I've made a 3D cube shaped like a rod, ran it through the zip tie, and pulled out, and again, the zip tie didn't break, just let the rod pass through given enough strain/stretch. 

What am I missing?
(07-12-2023, 07:49 PM)burntends Wrote: I've gone through the little samples, and I see the ropes tearing, but when I make a new Zip Tie Obi Rope (.5 resolution, .1 size, 1 particle pool) and enable tearing (tested 10-450 in resistance and -1 - 5 on the other line) and I have it set as a small U shape (rotated 90deg so the bottom of the U is sticking out of the wall) and make another rope going through the U (.5 resolution) not tearable.
and when I pull the 2nd rope to strain the "zip tie"... it bends but then at its strain point, the 2nd rope passes through the zip tie instead of breaking the zip tie. 

I've made a 3D cube shaped like a rod, ran it through the zip tie, and pulled out, and again, the zip tie didn't break, just let the rod pass through given enough strain/stretch. 

What am I missing?

Hi!

Make sure your rope blueprint has enough pooled particles to actually tear (if you have a pool size of zero, teraing won’t be possible since no new particles can be added to the rope). The default pool size is 100.

Assuming the rope *can* tear, if it doesn’t then it means its tearing threshold is too high, try lowering it.

Let me know if I can be of further help,
Kind regards,
(08-12-2023, 11:46 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Make sure your rope blueprint has enough pooled particles to actually tear (if you have a pool size of zero, teraing won’t be possible since no new particles can be added to the rope). The default pool size is 100.

Assuming the rope *can* tear, if it doesn’t then it means its tearing threshold is too high, try lowering it.

Let me know if I can be of further help,
Kind regards,
OK TY, yes I adjusted the pool and it is now "tearable" as a zip tie. While not overly consistent (I have a cable that is coiled as I'm trying to simulate those thick electrical cables you stick underground, and "sip" tied to a truck in a coiled fashion) and as I pull the cable it should break the zip ties (dropped tearing resistance to 300), and it is randomly hit/miss on breaking vs passing through. Will toy with it a little more, as I'm also trying to make my cable stiff, vs kinda saggy/limp