Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  GetUnityCollider error cause errors in all instanses
Hello dear developer,

I messed up ropeAttachment in one scene (target with obiCollider was inactive) and after I went to other scenes with normal ObiRopes it was still causing this error in ObiColliderBase-> UpdateIfNeeded-> GetUnityCollider == null. 

Why it could be the case? (maybe U fixed this already - we didn't update lately)
(10-10-2023, 02:10 PM)alex798 Wrote: Hello dear developer,

I messed up ropeAttachment in one scene (target with obiCollider was inactive) and after I went to other scenes with normal ObiRopes it was still causing this error in ObiColliderBase-> UpdateIfNeeded-> GetUnityCollider == null. 

Why it could be the case? (maybe U fixed this already - we didn't update lately)

Hi!

Could you share the exact error message / exception you're getting?
Also, which Obi version are you using? (you can find this at the top of the Obi/CHANGELOG.txt file)

kind regards,
(11-10-2023, 09:41 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Could you share the exact error message / exception you're getting?
Also, which Obi version are you using? (you can find this at the top of the Obi/CHANGELOG.txt file)

kind regards,
I made this modification to not cause error if I disable source collider (I understand that should be &&... now :3 ). But before && after got crush from screenshot in one scene it stars happening in other scenes as well.

# Change Log
All notable changes to “Obi - Advanced ropes for Unity” will be documented in this file.

## [6.2]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-10-2023, 12:49 PM)alex798 Wrote: I made this modification to not cause error if I disable source collider

Disabling a collider should not cause an error in the first place. Could you share the original error you were trying to fix by modifying the code yourself?

kind regards,
(13-10-2023, 09:37 AM)josemendez Wrote: Disabling a collider should not cause an error in the first place. Could you share the original error you were trying to fix by modifying the code yourself?

kind regards,

The same, but without col.enabled condition

Disabling source when obiCollider is enabled doesn't give any errors, BUT it drops FPS significantly.
Don't know what other conditions - maybe need be attached to obiAttachment or smtg.
(13-10-2023, 12:45 PM)alex798 Wrote: The same, but without col.enabled condition

Do you mean the same error? Could you give some steps to reproduce? I’ve tried disabling the Unity collider and / or the ObiCollider components but no issues arise.

Quote:Disabling source when obiCollider is enabled doesn't give any errors, BUT it drops FPS significantly.
Don't know what other conditions - maybe need be attached to obiAttachment or smtg.

That’s really strange, disabling a collider should not result in any FPS drop whatsoever. If possible, send your project (or a repro scene/steps) to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so I can take a closer look and try reproducing it.

Kind regards,
(13-10-2023, 04:32 PM)josemendez Wrote: Do you mean the same error? Could you give some steps to reproduce? I’ve tried disabling the Unity collider and / or the ObiCollider components but no issues arise.

That’s really strange, disabling a collider should not result in any FPS drop whatsoever. If possible, send your project (or a repro scene/steps) to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so I can take a closer look and try reproducing it.

Kind regards,

As I wrote - this place was't showing any errors, but it dropped FPS (maybe on weak devices only, cause we are working with Mobile VR), when collider is disabled with enabled ObiCollider.
Not sure how U can reproduce this - try multiple (so that system will start struggling) working obi with dynamic attachments to objects with ObiCollider. And than switch of one or a couple of Colliders - think that should work. 

P.S. Our systems have a cap of 72 FPS - so if it persists on 60-70 - it is heavy for it and than if turn off collider it can become like 10-20.
(15-10-2023, 10:31 AM)alex798 Wrote: As I wrote - this place was't showing any errors, but it dropped FPS (maybe on weak devices only, cause we are working with Mobile VR), when collider is disabled with enabled ObiCollider.
Not sure how U can reproduce this - try multiple (so that system will start struggling) working obi with dynamic attachments to objects with ObiCollider. And than switch of one or a couple of Colliders - think that should work. 

Tried doing this to no avail: disabling colliders while leaving the ObiCollider enabled does not affect performance for me. I also can't think of a clear reason why it would, as it's actually less work for the engine.

This is the test I've performed: set up a ObiRope with two attachments, one static (to the top of the rope) and one dynamic (to a box collider w/rigidbody). Then copy/pasted this multiple times in the scene.

While running, I randomly deactivate some of the BoxColliders, while keeping their ObiCollider / Rigidbody / ObiRigidbody enabled. This has the effect of making the collider have zero size (and infinite inertia tensor) as far as Obi is concerned. Doesn't seem to affect performance in any measurable way.

[Image: IOxTWH5.png]

Would it be possible for you to send a repro scene/project to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so that I can take a closer look at your setup?

kind regards,