Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Fluid sticking to surfaces
Hello,

So I have this issue, that when I pour fluids into a container, the particles strongly tend to stack on each others and 'stick' to the surface, leaving a hollow space in the container instead of being flat like an actual liquid.

I attached a picture showing the issue (up) and how it should behave (bottom). I need to shake the container multiple times and in random ways to get the fluid go from the top to the bottom (in the picture).

Here attached is also the blueprint I am using, but changing various values that maybe seemed relevant (viscosity, surface tension, atmospheric pressure, smoothing...) didn't solve my issue.
I tried different kind of obi collision materials as well, without success.

Do you know what I am missing?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(14-09-2023, 12:38 PM)Voolg Wrote: Hello,

So I have this issue, that when I pour fluids into a container, the particles strongly tend to stack on each others and 'stick' to the surface, leaving a hollow space in the container instead of being flat like an actual liquid.

I attached a picture showing the issue (up) and how it should behave (bottom). I need to shake the container multiple times and in random ways to get the fluid go from the top to the bottom (in the picture).

Here attached is also the blueprint I am using, but changing various values that maybe seemed relevant (viscosity, surface tension, atmospheric pressure, smoothing...) didn't solve my issue.
I tried different kind of obi collision materials as well, without success.

Do you know what I am missing?

Hi,

This is just an effect of discretizing fluid as particles: the meniscus is huge since there's very few particles.

I'd suggest using a larger smoothing radius and stronger surface tension, to try and force particles to attract each other over larger distances, and create a convex meniscus instead of a concave one. This might help them get into the proper shape.

kind regards.
Hey, thank you for the answer.

In my case changing the solver "Collision" module to parallel solved most of my issue. I don't know if the default was supposed to be sequential, of if I changed it at some point.

Smooth radius and surface tension alone were not changing much, but are a nice addition now that I changed the Evaluation to parallel. Although smoothing is extremely expansive so I'd rather keep it as low as possible.