Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to define a softbody object that is partly flexible?
Exclamación 
Hi,there

I just wanna define a object that is partly deformable such as cable.

What I tried is that I created blueprint from cut-out mesh and attached it to original mesh.
However the part of original mesh out of cut-out mesh doesn't have a Collider and allowed other object to pass through.

What to do for creating partly deformable object?
(This kind of case exists: rigid part -soft part - rigid part)

And I wanna do that by Script.
I need to do this as soon as possible...

thanks in advanced
(07-09-2023, 03:39 AM)Daqud Wrote: Hi,there

I just wanna define a object that is partly deformable such as cable.

What I tried is that I created blueprint from cut-out mesh and attached it to original mesh.
However the part of original mesh out of cut-out mesh doesn't have a Collider and allowed other object to pass through.

What to do for creating partly deformable object?
(This kind of case exists: rigid part -soft part - rigid part)

And I wanna do that by Script.
I need to do this as soon as possible...

thanks in advanced

Hi!

Obi does not currently support spatially varying compliance across the volume of objects. Softbody materials are homogeneous (same compliance throughout their surface/volume) and isotropic (same compliance in all directions).

Best you can do is cut-out part of an object and turn it into a softbody (like the "ElasticCharacter" sample scene), but you will have to deal with collision detection against the non-softbody parts of the object some other way.

kind regards,
(07-09-2023, 07:22 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Obi does not currently support spatially varying compliance across the volume of objects. Softbody materials are homogeneous (same compliance throughout their surface/volume) and isotropic (same compliance in all directions).

Best you can do is cut-out part of an object and turn it into a softbody (like the "ElasticCharacter" sample scene), but you will have to deal with collision detection against the non-softbody parts of the object some other way.

kind regards,

Josemendez, thank you for your reply

>Best you can do is cut-out part of an object and turn it into a softbody (like the "ElasticCharacter" sample scene), but you will have to deal with collision detection against the non-softbody parts of the object some other way.
Do you have any ideas to deal with collision detection against the non-softbody parts of the object? Just adding mesh collider doesn't work right?

Is it possible that non-softbody parts is defined as Rigidbody and softbody parts is attached to the Rigidbody? (actually I don't know how to do by script thought...)

Best regards,
(08-09-2023, 02:19 AM)Daqud Wrote: Do you have any ideas to deal with collision detection against the non-softbody parts of the object? Just adding mesh collider doesn't work right?

If you're using this for a character, the usual approach is to add primitive colliders (typically spheres or capsules) parented to the character's limbs. If your case is different, a MeshCollider might be a better approach, I can't know for sure.

(08-09-2023, 02:19 AM)Daqud Wrote: Is it possible that non-softbody parts is defined as Rigidbody and softbody parts is attached to the Rigidbody? (actually I don't know how to do by script thought...)

Yes, this is what the ElasticCharacter sample scene does. You just add an attachment between some of the softbody particles and the rigidbody. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

kind regards,