Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take a Dent?
I am creating a game where I destroy a car. In that, I hammer it over and over with various blunt force objects.

What I am wondering is, can ObiSoft, be ideal for this, in that, can it take a dent and retain it? Or, should I look at more classical Mesh Deformation?

Thanks
(31-07-2023, 04:32 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: I am creating a game where I destroy a car. In that, I hammer it over and over with various blunt force objects.

What I am wondering is, can ObiSoft, be ideal for this, in that, can it take a dent and retain it? Or, should I look at more classical Mesh Deformation?

Thanks

Hi!

Depends on whether you want the object to be soft or rigid. Obi softbodies can remember deformation and retain dents (this is called plasticity), however they will still behave as soft bodies.

If you want rigid bodies that can take an impact and retain deformation, you should deform the mesh of a rigidbody.

kind regards,
(31-07-2023, 06:42 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Depends on whether you want the object to be soft or rigid. Obi softbodies can remember deformation and retain dents (this is called plasticity), however they will still behave as soft bodies.

If you want rigid bodies that can take an impact and retain deformation, you should deform the mesh of a rigidbody.

kind regards,

Ok, so for a classical style, I would look to typical mesh deformation components. 

---- 
I am curious though when you mention plasticity. Is this controlled, 100% by the plastic variables under the ObiSoftBody Component? 

One other question, (slightly different topic), I have been using ObiRope, which is great. However, I am wondering about ObiSoft's ability to stretch a mesh.

Example: if I had a humanoid avatar, could I stretch his arms significantly? Say 5 times his body length, then return them back to normal? Basically, could I create an Elastic Man?

Thank you
(31-07-2023, 07:25 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: I am curious though when you mention plasticity. Is this controlled, 100% by the plastic variables under the ObiSoftBody Component? 
Yes, see: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html

(31-07-2023, 07:25 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: One other question, (slightly different topic), I have been using ObiRope, which is great. However, I am wondering about ObiSoft's ability to stretch a mesh.

Example: if I had a humanoid avatar, could I stretch his arms significantly? Say 5 times his body length, then return them back to normal? Basically, could I create an Elastic Man?

Yes, just reduce the "stiffness" property of ObiSoftbody component, under shape matching constraints. See the link above.

kind regards,
(01-08-2023, 06:45 AM)josemendez Wrote: Yes, see: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html

Yes, just reduce the "stiffness" property of ObiSoftbody component, under shape matching constraints. See the link above.

kind regards,

Amazing, Just one more annoying question, is one able to weight the system? 

What I mean by this is, let's say I have a humanoid avatar, and I want his arms to stretch but his torso to not. Can you shift the stiffness property location locally over the body or is it omni across the mesh?

Thank you again!
(01-08-2023, 05:00 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: Amazing, Just one more annoying question, is one able to weight the system? 

What I mean by this is, let's say I have a humanoid avatar, and I want his arms to stretch but his torso to not. Can you shift the stiffness property location locally over the body or is it omni across the mesh?

Thank you again!

Hi!

No, currently there's a single stretching value per softbody.

kind regards,