Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't bind to mesh because it says it's not readable
Hey, I'm facing a weird issue. I have a 3D model with Read/Write setting enabled:

[Image: image.png]

I created a softbody blueprint, added the mesh and generated the volume particles. No issues here:

I create a Obi SoftbodySkinner + ObiSoftbody and suddenly boom:

As you can see, the renderer mesh is readable (first pic). When clicking on "Fix now" I get:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Obi.ObiSoftbodySkinnerEditor.NonReadableMeshWarning (UnityEngine.Mesh mesh) (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Softbody/ObiSoftbodySkinnerEditor.cs:83)

Like if it was not possible to read. And the softbody object is like the dragon scene one where a different object has the ObiSoftbody with the blueprint:

Any idea? :/

I imported same model again (duplicated) and I don't have the error now, but the particles doesn't modify the mesh position (I clicked on Bind Skin)

[Image: screenshot_3.png]
(31-07-2023, 01:21 PM)manurocker95 Wrote: Hey, I'm facing a weird issue. I have a 3D model with Read/Write setting enabled:

I created a softbody blueprint, added the mesh and generated the volume particles. No issues here:

I create a Obi SoftbodySkinner + ObiSoftbody and suddenly boom:

As you can see, the renderer mesh is readable (first pic). When clicking on "Fix now" I get:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Obi.ObiSoftbodySkinnerEditor.NonReadableMeshWarning (UnityEngine.Mesh mesh) (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Softbody/ObiSoftbodySkinnerEditor.cs:83)

Like if it was not possible to read. And the softbody object is like the dragon scene one where a different object has the ObiSoftbody with the blueprint:

Any idea? :/

I imported same model again (duplicated) and I don't have the error now, but the particles doesn't modify the mesh position (I clicked on Bind Skin)

[Image: screenshot_3.png]

Hi!

Things to check:

1) make sure your mesh wasn’t rigged to begin with. If the mesh contains existing bone weights but the bones aren’t present in the scene, deformation won’t work.

2) make sure that the ObiSoftbodySkinner’s “skinning max distance” isn’t too small for your mesh. (Cant tell units for sure in your screenshots, this distance is expressed in world space)

3) try removing the ObiSoftbodySkinner component, re-adding it and clicking “Bind Skin”. Some serialization issues are resolved this way.

If none of these work, would you mind sending your scene to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com for us to take a look? Thanks!