Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Obi rope removes itself
Hello there,

Me and my team have been using Obi rope for about 5 months now and we keep running into an issue where obi rope seems to uninstall itself from our Unity project. Does anyone know what might be causing this and/or how to fix?

Unity version: 2021.3.2f1
Obi rope version: 6.5.2

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
(22-05-2023, 11:52 AM)Max360 Wrote: Hello there,

Me and my team have been using Obi rope for about 5 months now and we keep running into an issue where obi rope seems to uninstall itself from our Unity project. Does anyone know what might be causing this and/or how to fix?

Unity version: 2021.3.2f1

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hi,

Obi is a folder in your project just like any other, installing/uninstalling it is just a matter of adding/deleting it. I can't think of any reason for a folder in a Unity project deleting itself. Off the top of my head, only possibility is that an external tool (like a version control system, or a file sync system) is deleting it.

kind regards,
(22-05-2023, 01:35 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Obi is a folder in your project just like any other, installing/uninstalling it is just a matter of adding/deleting it. I can't think of any reason for a folder in a Unity project deleting itself. Off the top of my head, only possibility is that an external tool (like a version control system, or a file sync system) is deleting it.

kind regards,
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I can't think of any reason either but without removing the files either from the folder or using our version control system, obi rope still magically keeps disappearing from our project. It has happened more than 10 times so far.
(24-05-2023, 09:28 AM)Max360 Wrote: Hi, thanks for your reply.

I can't think of any reason either but without removing the files either from the folder or using our version control system, obi rope still magically keeps disappearing from our project. It has happened more than 10 times so far.

Hi,

That's extremely weird, never heard of anything like this. Could it be an issue with .meta files?
My advice would be to ask this in the Unity forums, as it seems to have nothing to do with Obi itself but with Unity's file/folder system.

kind regards,
I have something similar (ish), if I switch to a branch without obi, then back to obi it breaks and says some key problem and then blablabla can't be found in the namespace for every obi script. Restarting Unity, or reimporting obi helps, but it is very annoying as I do small tweaks on multiple branches and often switch.

Unity version: 2021.3.18f1
(12-06-2023, 12:04 PM)uatihb Wrote: I have something similar (ish), if I switch to a branch without obi, then back to obi it breaks and says some key problem and then blablabla can't be found in the namespace for every obi script. Restarting Unity, or reimporting obi helps, but it is very annoying as I do small tweaks on multiple branches and often switch.

Unity version: 2021.3.18f1

This has nothing to do with Obi, since it doesn't do any version control or file handling of its own. It's just a bunch of static files in your project. Unlikely for Unity to be related to this issue either.

Make sure all required scripts/files are tracked by the VCS you're using (git, mercurial, svn, plastic, etc). Failing to track all files will likely lead to missing files.

Note it's specially important to track your project's metadata (.meta) files. Ignoring them will break your project in all sorts of ways.
(12-06-2023, 12:16 PM)josemendez Wrote: This has nothing to do with Obi, since it doesn't do any version control or file handling of its own. It's just a bunch of static files in your project. Unlikely for Unity to be related to this issue either.

Make sure all required scripts/files are tracked by the VCS you're using (git, mercurial, svn, plastic, etc). Failing to track all files will likely lead to missing files.

Note it's specially important to track your project's metadata (.meta) files. Ignoring them will break your project in all sorts of ways.

Everything is most definitely tracked and I only get this in regards to Obi, but I agree, it's strange. The exact error I get is

Failed to find entry-points:
Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'Obi, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
  at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00105] in <ebb9e4250ed24cbfa42055e3532ef311>:0
  at zzzUnity.Burst.CodeGen.AssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00039] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0
  at Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00079] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0
  at Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.EntryPointMethodFinder.FindEntryPoints (System.String[] rootAssemblyNames, Burst.Compiler.IL.Hashing.CacheRuntime.HashCacheAssemblyStore assemblyStore, Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader assemblyLoader, Burst.Compiler.IL.NativeCompilerOptions options, Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.ProfileDelegate profileCallback, System.Boolean includeRootAssemblyReferences, System.Boolean splitTargets, Burst.Compiler.IL.Helpers.DebugLogWriter debugWriter) [0x00055] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0
  at Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.FindMethodsJob.Execute (Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.CompilerServerJobExecutionContext context) [0x00133] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0

While compiling job:

So burst (which I don't even use) fails to compile some assemblies. This is indeed probably not Obi's fault, I'll dig a bit when I have time.
(12-06-2023, 06:06 PM)uatihb Wrote: Everything is most definitely tracked and I only get this in regards to Obi, but I agree, it's strange. The exact error I get is

Failed to find entry-points:
Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'Obi, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
  at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00105] in <ebb9e4250ed24cbfa42055e3532ef311>:0
  at zzzUnity.Burst.CodeGen.AssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00039] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0
  at Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00079] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0
  at Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.EntryPointMethodFinder.FindEntryPoints (System.String[] rootAssemblyNames, Burst.Compiler.IL.Hashing.CacheRuntime.HashCacheAssemblyStore assemblyStore, Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader assemblyLoader, Burst.Compiler.IL.NativeCompilerOptions options, Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.ProfileDelegate profileCallback, System.Boolean includeRootAssemblyReferences, System.Boolean splitTargets, Burst.Compiler.IL.Helpers.DebugLogWriter debugWriter) [0x00055] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0
  at Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.FindMethodsJob.Execute (Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.CompilerServerJobExecutionContext context) [0x00133] in <a2dd15248a25411e914af2a2c82fb63f>:0

While compiling job:

So burst (which I don't even use) fails to compile some assemblies. This is indeed probably not Obi's fault, I'll dig a bit when I have time.

Obi depends on Burst, as stated in the asset description in the store as well as the manual. If you don’t have Burst installed, it will attempt to fall back to a (deprecated as of 6.0) native library to perform the simulation, which is slower -specially so on mobile devices- and has limited platform compatibility. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

Starting with Obi 7.0, Obi won’t work at all if you don’t have the Burst package installed. For proper results I’d recommend installing Burst as well as all other package dependencies listed in the link above.

Kind regards,
(12-06-2023, 08:08 PM)josemendez Wrote: Obi depends on Burst, as stated in the asset description in the store as well as the manual. If you don’t have Burst installed, it will attempt to fall back to a (deprecated as of 6.0) native library to perform the simulation, which is slower -specially so on mobile devices- and has limited platform compatibility. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

Starting with Obi 7.0, Obi won’t work at all if you don’t have the Burst package installed. For proper results I’d recommend installing Burst as well as all other package dependencies listed in the link above.

Kind regards,

I do use Burst. (can't post a pic of my packages... but I have burst, mathematics and collections, also burst enabled in obi solver)

The problem happens when I switch to a branch without burst/obi and then back. Also, it works fine after restarting Unity. It might be internal Unity/Burst problem, like it tries to compile obi before compiling burst assemblies... or maybe Obi is missing some orders for Unity to wait. Also I am using obi ropes and Linux. I'll try to create an empty project on Windows, branch, install burst+obi, and switch between. Will comment later if I see the same thing happening.