Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Works with anything?
Hi there, 
I have not purcahsed ObiCloth yet, but I was curious. I am going to be making a clothes based game. I have the art assets, sweaters, shirts, skirts.... can I apply this Obi Cloth to any art asset?
(15-04-2023, 12:46 AM)Renman3000 Wrote: Hi there, 
I have not purcahsed ObiCloth yet, but I was curious. I am going to be making a clothes based game. I have the art assets, sweaters, shirts, skirts.... can I apply this Obi Cloth to any art asset?

Hi!

I'm not sure what your question is. If you mean whether you can take an arbitrary mesh and apply cloth dynamics to it, the answer is it depends:

1 - On how many vertices the mesh has. Very dense meshes are much more costly to simulate than simpler ones.
2 - On its topology. Non-manifold meshes are not supported.
3 - On whether the mesh is skeletally animated or not. If your goal is for characters to wear these clothes, you need them to be skinned to the character's skeleton: you can't take an arbitrary cloth and make any character wear it.

Note that points 1 and 3 apply to all cloth simulation engines, not just Obi.

kind regards,
Ok thank you. 

Yes, I have an art asset, a female model with an array of clothes. These clothes, snap into slots on the model. And I can choose any combination of pants, and shirt I like... 

The clothes are animated to the body. I was just thinking ahead, that perhaps if one could just grab any mesh and plop it on a model like a sweater, that would be neat!

Thanks
(17-04-2023, 01:22 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: I was just thinking ahead, that perhaps if one could just grab any mesh and plop it on a model like a sweater, that would be neat!

Not sure I understand your use case, but as long as the sweater mesh is bound to the same skeleton as the character mesh, you can create character cloth out of it.

If the meshes contain no skinning information, is not possible to create character cloth out of them, since you'd need to rely solely on collision detection against the character's body and that's not doable in realtime.

kind regards,