Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Cannot have more than two objects in scene
I'm not sure where to start here, as I'm unable to identify what the issue actually is.

I'm working on a sailing system -- and it works well with a single sail.

I'm working on an object with three cloth blueprints active, and it crashes instantly every time I attempt to build or run from editor. No error messages are produced. This happens if I have three separate cloth blueprints, or the same blueprint duplicated twice. (All three are parented to the same solver in all cases.)

Doesn't seem to be performance related, as they are relatively simple bp's. (140 particles each). Two will run at around 200fps, but adding the third, even after runtime will always result in a crash, regardless of which of the three is activated. i.e. any two is fine, any three always fully crashes unity.

Any thoughts to where I should begin to sort out what's causing this?
(18-03-2023, 08:52 PM)MEPETAMINALS Wrote: I'm not sure where to start here, as I'm unable to identify what the issue actually is.

I'm working on a sailing system -- and it works well with a single sail.

I'm working on an object with three cloth blueprints active, and it crashes instantly every time I attempt to build or run from editor. No error messages are produced. This happens if I have three separate cloth blueprints, or the same blueprint duplicated twice. (All three are parented to the same solver in all cases.)

Doesn't seem to be performance related, as they are relatively simple bp's. (140 particles each). Two will run at around 200fps, but adding the third, even after runtime will always result in a crash, regardless of which of the three is activated. i.e. any two is fine, any three always fully crashes unity.

Any thoughts to where I should begin to sort out what's causing this?

Hi!

Could you share the mesh(es) you’re using to build your blueprints? Obi does not support non-manifold meshes, and while it will try to identify malformations in the mesh and warn you about them, it might not be able to identify all, as explained in the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...setup.html

If possible, also share your Unity editor logs so that we can take a closer look at what was happening right before the crash.

Kind regards,
(18-03-2023, 11:23 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Could you share the mesh(es) you’re using to build your blueprints? Obi does not support non-manifold meshes, and while it will try to identify malformations in the mesh and warn you about them, it might not be able to identify all, as explained in the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...setup.html

If possible, also share your Unity editor logs so that we can take a closer look at what was happening right before the crash.

Kind regards,

I've tried several different meshes as the blueprint. The most recent is attached.

Which logs are you needing? Unity does not produce a crash log seemingly, it just closes.1

EDIT: What's the preferred method to attach files? Doesn't seem to like .blend.
(18-03-2023, 11:56 PM)MEPETAMINALS Wrote: I've tried several different meshes as the blueprint. The most recent is attached.

Which logs are you needing? Unity does not produce a crash log seemingly, it just closes.1

EDIT: What's the preferred method to attach files? Doesn't seem to like .blend.

Hi,

Send the files to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com, that way you won’t be restricted by the size limits imposed by the forums.

Unity *always* writes a log (Editor.log), which you can find in a different location depending on the platform you’re in:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

This file is created when you open up Unity and written to while you’re using it, so even if Unity crashes/hangs/closes unexpectedly, the file exists and contains useful information.

Kind regards,
(19-03-2023, 12:34 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Send the files to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com, that way you won’t be restricted by the size limits imposed by the forums.

Unity *always* writes a log (Editor.log), which you can find in a different location depending on the platform you’re in:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

This file is created when you open up Unity and written to while you’re using it, so even if Unity crashes/hangs/closes unexpectedly, the file exists and contains useful information.

Kind regards,

Appreciated. I have sent the files.

For demonstration -- this is a video of the issue occuring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfvOzqKpIV0

Recording cuts off at the point unity closes. No errors thrown. Any two of the three cloth objects can be active, but as soon as a third is added, this is the result.
Brief update.

To eliminate other causes, I've disabled everything in the scene except for the three cloth objects, and the three rb's that they connect to via a static particle connection. 

Behavior is the same, two are fine, three is instant (or near instant if one is enabled during runtime) crash to desktop.

I have noted that it is more stable (but does still crash eventually) if collisions are disabled, even when there is nothing to collide with in the scene.

(19-03-2023, 05:10 PM)MEPETAMINALS Wrote: Brief update.

To eliminate other causes, I've disabled everything in the scene except for the three cloth objects, and the three rb's that they connect to via a static particle connection. 

Behavior is the same, two are fine, three is instant (or near instant if one is enabled during runtime) crash to desktop.

I have noted that it is more stable (but does still crash eventually) if collisions are disabled, even when there is nothing to collide with in the scene.

Update 2.

I've found I can have all three without issue, if I give each cloth object a separate solver. It's only when three or more are parented to the same solver that the issue occurs.

This makes me question what I'm doing -- is this expected? Should every cloth object have a separate solver?