Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rope physics on external rigidbodies
Hi,
Im looking at purchasing Obi Rope for a project but theres a particular feature that I would really need for it to be useful and I am wondering if it exists:
Basically, can Obi Ropes apply forces to rigidbodies that arent constrained to the rope? An example might be, could a cylinder with a dynamic rigidbody be suspended on a rope just by being placed on a rope? And could I then apply forces to that cylinder by moving the rope?
If not, I might be able to find a workaround but I couldnt see any demos of this sort of thing happening which is why I wanted to ask before purchasing.

Thanks a lot,
Elliot
(21-02-2023, 12:51 PM)ellioteserin Wrote: Basically, can Obi Ropes apply forces to rigidbodies that arent constrained to the rope?

Hi Elliot,

I'm not really sure what you mean, for two objects to apply forces to each other they must be constrained in some way, even if it's just a contact constraint. That's what a constraint is: a channel that facilitates force (or rather, impulse) exchange between objects.

Ropes apply forces to all rigidbodies, whether it's due to collisions or because they're attached to them. This is shown in the promotional video (see the crane at 0:20 for instance, or the friction see-saw at 1:33 which is made out of two rigidbodies attached to the ends of a rope):

So yes, you can suspend a cylinder from a rope and apply forces to it by moving the rope. You can also move the cylinder and it will apply forces to the rope, this is usually called "two-way coupling".

cheers!
(21-02-2023, 01:24 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Elliot,

I'm not really sure what you mean, for two objects to apply forces to each other they must be constrained in some way, even if it's just a contact constraint. That's what a constraint is: a channel that facilitates force (or rather, impulse) exchange between objects.

Ropes apply forces to all rigidbodies, whether it's due to collisions or because they're attached to them. This is shown in the promotional video (see the crane at 0:20 for instance, or the friction see-saw at 1:33 which is made out of two rigidbodies attached to the ends of a rope):

So yes, you can suspend a cylinder from a rope and apply forces to it by moving the rope. You can also move the cylinder and it will apply forces to the rope, this is usually called "two-way coupling".

cheers!

Ok, yeah that helps clear up my questions! thanks