Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Best way to make an arcade goal net
Hi! Just bought the Obi Cloth and was playing with it a bit and it's great, however I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with so many parameters I can tweak. I didn't manage to get the results I was aiming for, so I was wondering if someone could give me a little help.
What I want is a goal net that can stretch a lot, but keep the ball inside. In my tests the ball was going through the net very often.
Is that achivable with Obi Cloth or should I use some kind of shader deformation instead?
Thanks!
(13-02-2023, 11:24 PM)landosilva Wrote: Hi! Just bought the Obi Cloth and was playing with it a bit and it's great, however I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with so many parameters I can tweak. I didn't manage to get the results I was aiming for, so I was wondering if someone could give me a little help.
What I want is a goal net that can stretch a lot, but keep the ball inside. In my tests the ball was going through the net very often.

Hi lando,

You can use surface collisions for this. This will prevent balls from going trough the net.
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...sions.html

There's also a sample scene showcasing a goal net included with the asset, which you can find at Assets/Obi/Samples/Cloth/SoccerGoal.unity.

(13-02-2023, 11:24 PM)landosilva Wrote: Is that achivable with Obi Cloth or should I use some kind of shader deformation instead?
Thanks!

The shader route is certainly a lot cheaper, but it all depends on the exact effect you're after. If you're using shader deformation for the net, you would need to handle the ball's physical simulation some other way, for instance placing an invisible collider behind the goal, or applying a force towards the field once the ball goes past the goalposts.

kind regards,