Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rope around collider
Hello again,

Encountered a problem, that if we wrap rope around obiCollider- the stretch between two halves of contact point is now equal- so if we pull the end with greater stretch it stretches even more because outTreshold is made to measure equal stretch... Do u have suggestions?- tryed to lower Treshold, but in that case gravitation creates stretch that is over it... And the same problem with RopeCursor- where to place it?- we don't know in what half the tension will be higher (where to add paricles)
(02-02-2023, 10:38 AM)alex798 Wrote: Hello again,

Encountered a problem, that if we wrap rope around  obiCollider- the stretch between two halves of contact point is now equal- so if we pull the end with greater stretch it stretches even more because outTreshold is made to measure equal stretch... Do u have suggestions?- tryed to lower Treshold, but in that case gravitation creates stretch that is over it... And the same problem with RopeCursor- where to place it?- we don't know in what half the tension will be higher (where to add paricles)

Hi!

I'm not too sure I understand the issue. The way you describe it seems parts of the rope stretching more than others is not desired for some reason? The overall amount by what the rope stretches (as measured by the sample "reel" script) is the same regardless of how tension is distributed in the rope, which is often what you want...

In case you need to measure local stretch in different parts of the rope and react differently depending on where the rope is stretching, that's doable using elements but considerably more complex to implement.

I might be able to help further given a more detailed explanation of your use case and the problem you're facing.

kind regards,
(02-02-2023, 11:03 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

I'm not too sure I understand the issue. The way you describe it seems parts of the rope stretching more than others is not desired for some reason? The overall amount by what the rope stretches (as measured by the sample "reel" script) is the same regardless of how tension is distributed in the rope, which is often what you want...

In case you need to measure local stretch in different parts of the rope and react differently depending on where the rope is stretching, that's doable using elements but considerably more complex to implement.

I might be able to help further given a more detailed explanation of your use case and the problem you're facing.

kind regards,
The overStretch of one half is not desired because in that case this half will pass through collider, because of distance between particles.
Maybe the blame is on the CursorMu - it is in the center and adding particles to the half that is less stretched is pointless...
(02-02-2023, 11:26 AM)alex798 Wrote: The overStretch of one half is not desired because in that case this half will pass through collider, because of distance between particles.
Maybe the blame is on the CursorMu - it is in the center and adding particles to the half that is less stretched is pointless...

Tension should be spaced pretty evenly across the entire rope in most cases, unless there's something preventing a specific particle in the rope to slide across the surface of the collider, (eg. your colliders or rope having really high friction) or there's a point in the middle of the rope attached to a kinematic/static object. I can't really think of a case where a collision could tense just part of the rope. Can you share a screenshot or video of your setup?
(02-02-2023, 01:42 PM)josemendez Wrote: Tension should be spaced pretty evenly across the entire rope in most cases, unless there's something preventing a specific particle in the rope to slide across the surface of the collider, (eg. your colliders or rope having really high friction) or there's a point in the middle of the rope attached to a kinematic/static object. I can't really think of a case where a collision could tense just part of the rope. Can you share a screenshot or video of your setup?
U'r right- the problem was in HighStaticFrictionMaterial + small(0.6) MaxDepenetration- set it to 2 and now it is close to stable - is there any downsides of such setting or it could be better to set depentration even higher? And can u say, how to edit multiple objects simultaniously- we have a lot ObiColliders with material and change everyone is a pain...