Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Rope + Game Creator 2 Grappling Hook
Hey, I'm trying to use Obi Rope to create a grappling system using Game Creator 2 - First Person

I've played around with the Obi Rope Grappling Hook Demo scene, I can't seem to figure out how's the ropes even spawning and how to make it shoot from my player.

Any suggestions or help with achieving this would be greatly appreciated.

In the demo scene, I've disabled all the objects and even the 2d script, the hook still shoots and connects, But I don't understand how its even doing that.

Is there any readme? or instructions how to create this in first person?
(29-01-2023, 11:34 PM)Skcmmj Wrote: In the demo scene, I've disabled all the objects and even the 2d script, the hook still shoots and connects, But I don't understand how its even doing that.

Hi there,

There's no "2d" script in that specific scene, there's only a few platform cubes, a UI canvas, and a ObiSolver which contains the player and the hook.

You'll find a "Capsule" GameObject (which represents the player) inside the ObiSolver object. The capsule has a child named "Hook" which contains the "ExtendableGrapplingHook" sample component that controls shooting and anchoring the hook.

You can also just type "hook" in the scene hierarchy search box and it will lead you to the relevant object/scripts.

(29-01-2023, 11:34 PM)Skcmmj Wrote: Is there any readme?

There's a QuickstartGuide.pdf readme in the installation folder that points you to the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manual/6.3/

Also in Window->Obi->About you'll find links to both the manual and the API documentation:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/api.html

Note that Obi is a quite advanced physics engine, in case you're not familiar with C# scripting and/or basic physics concepts (such as forces/impulses/acceleration, mass/inertia, vector spaces, etc) you will likely have a very hard time using it since both are required.

(29-01-2023, 11:34 PM)Skcmmj Wrote: or instructions how to create this in first person?

Just make sure the ObiSolver is in 3D mode, then adjust object positions until you're happy. You might also need to modify the extendable hook sample script to match your use case.

kind regards,
(30-01-2023, 08:45 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

There's no "2d" script in that specific scene, there's only a few platform cubes, a UI canvas, and a ObiSolver which contains the player and the hook.

You'll find a "Capsule" GameObject (which represents the player) inside the ObiSolver object. The capsule has a child named "Hook" which contains the "ExtendableGrapplingHook" sample component that controls shooting and anchoring the hook.

You can also just type "hook" in the scene hierarchy search box and it will lead you to the relevant object/scripts.

There's a QuickstartGuide.pdf readme in the installation folder that points you to the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manual/6.3/

Also in Window->Obi->About you'll find links to both the manual and the API documentation:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/api.html

Note that Obi is a quite advanced physics engine, in case you're not familiar with C# scripting and/or basic physics concepts (such as forces/impulses/acceleration, mass/inertia, vector spaces, etc) you will likely have a very hard time using it since both are required.

Just make sure the ObiSolver is in 3D mode, then adjust object positions until you're happy. You might also need to modify the extendable hook sample script to match your use case.

kind regards,

Thank you for the fast reply, Greatly appreciated it, I'm going to look further into this. The main things I'm trying to accomplish is to have the player be able to jump and swing on hanging ropes. If possible create the grappling hook like Indiana jones throwing his whip and being able to swing. I know it seems little difficult but I think ill be able to do it. I will reply to this thread if I run into any more issues. Thank you again for creating an asset and actually responding to support. Appreciate it.