Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Generate mesh from particles
Hi

I'm making a welding simulation in Unity and I'm using obi fluids to create the welding line and turn it solid.
The line have many different shapes in great detail which obi the fluid physics is perfect for.

here's the situation:

The created weldingline has to stay in de the scene for as long as the scene is loaded which means the particles need to have Infinity lifespan.
There is no limit on how much can be created so the emiter blueprint has to have a very large capacity with alot of particles.
This means that the performace is really bad.

Potential solution:

when a partical is solidified i would generating a mesh at runtime to replace the particle using the partical triangle data and then kill the partical. (or 1 mesh for multiple particals)
This will reduce the number of active particals and hopefully allow the capacity to remain relativly low and increase the performance.

Question:
Is this possible?
How do i bet approach this?
(04-01-2023, 01:13 PM)NicTimmermans Wrote: Hi

I'm making a welding simulation in Unity and I'm using obi fluids to create the welding line and turn it solid.
The line have many different shapes in great detail which obi the fluid physics is perfect for.

here's the situation:

The created weldingline has to stay in de the scene for as long as the scene is loaded which means the particles need to have Infinity lifespan.
There is no limit on how much can be created so the emiter blueprint has to have a very large capacity with alot of particles.
This means that the performace is really bad.

Potential solution:

when a partical is solidified i would generating a mesh at runtime to replace the particle using the partical triangle data and then kill the partical. (or 1 mesh for multiple particals)
This will reduce the number of active particals and hopefully allow the capacity to remain relativly low and increase the performance.

Question:
Is this possible?
How do i bet approach this?

Hi!

Obi includes no isosurface meshing algorithm out of the box, but you can use any other you find online, purchase, or write yourself.

Marching cubes and surface nets are popular options. See: https://cerbion.net/blog/understanding-surface-nets/

Kind regards,