Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you read/write cloth data for network replication?
I have a multiplayer game and I am wondering if the cloth is replicable from server to clients.

I asked before about obi rope and an admin answered me its possible with rope, is it possible with cloth too?

Also ca cloth be used to make a trampoline and have rigidbodies bounce on it realistically?
(18-11-2022, 02:40 PM)Milionario Wrote: I have a multiplayer game and I am wondering if the cloth is replicable from server to clients.

I asked before about obi rope and an admin answered me its possible with rope, is it possible with cloth too?

Hi,

Obi is an unified, particle-based engine. The core solver is the same for all assets (cloth, ropes, softbodies and fluid) so you can sync cloth data the same way you do with ropes: by sending particle positions/velocities over the network.

(18-11-2022, 02:40 PM)Milionario Wrote: Also can cloth be used to make a trampoline and have rigidbodies bounce on it realistically?
Yes, two-way coupling with rigidbodies is supported for all Obi actors: cloth, ropes, softbody and fluids. Note that depending on how many trampolines you need in your game (and how large they are) using cloth simulation for this might be overkill, though.

kind regards,
(18-11-2022, 03:15 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Obi is an unified, particle-based engine. The core solver is the same for all assets (cloth, ropes, softbodies and fluid) so you can sync cloth data the same way you do with ropes: by sending particle positions/velocities over the network.

Yes, two-way coupling with rigidbodies is supported for all Obi actors: cloth, ropes, softbody and fluids. Note that depending on how many trampolines you need in your game (and how large they are) using cloth simulation for this might be overkill, though.

kind regards,

What exactly is a cloth? is it a series of ropes interconnected? or its different?

that could cause some difference on how many points I would need to sync
(18-11-2022, 06:25 PM)Milionario Wrote: What exactly is a cloth? is it a series of ropes interconnected? or its different?

that could cause some difference on how many points I would need to sync

Cloth is not a series of ropes, but a network of particles connected like a mesh (imagine one particle per vertex in a mesh)

However this doesn’t have any impact in the way you handle particles, it’s still just an array of positions, an array of velocities, etc.

kind regards,