Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Rope + Filo Cable
Hello,

So after buying Obi rope I also checked Filo cable.
I wanted a scene where the cable/ rope is not too flexible as in the case of Obi rope, however I also want the cable sag (which is there in Obi rope and I dont see it in the filo cable).

So I am not sure if Filo cable can have cable sag.

I want a spool on which the cable is stored (same as in the spool example of Filo cable) with a pulley as shown in the figure.

Also the simulation is super slow and I am not sure why. The floor is of scale 100-1-100 and the 2 spool-pulley system is at the 2 corners of the floor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(16-11-2022, 10:14 AM)rohit_dhak Wrote: So I am not sure if Filo cable can have cable sag.

As long as the cable is not completely tensed up, Filo can fake a sagging cable by using a catenary shape. I believe this is mentioned in the quickstart guide/manual, you can control the amount of sag using the cables' "Looseness Scale" parameter.

Note however Filo is much more limited than Obi in its ability to simulate free cables, so a sagging cable won't collide with arbitrary objects in the scene or stuff like that.

(16-11-2022, 10:14 AM)rohit_dhak Wrote: I want a spool on which the cable is stored (same as in the spool example of Filo cable) with a pulley as shown in the figure.

Spools are just rigidbodies with a motorized hinge joint. Not part of Filo, just check out Unity's documentation on joints.

(16-11-2022, 10:14 AM)rohit_dhak Wrote: Also the simulation is super slow and I am not sure why. The floor is of scale 100-1-100 and the 2 spool-pulley system is at the 2 corners of the floor.

This is just one cable with 4 segments, so the simulation should be extremely fast. I'd recommend to take a look at the profiler to identify what's slowing things down, I can help you interpret the profiler results if needed.

kind regards,
[quote pid='13413' dateline='1668591937']
Is it possible to use the spools from Filo cable and use Obi rope instead of Filo cable to store the rope on the spool?
If yes then I would like to know how? Since I am not sure if Obi rope have same attachment types (Hybrid, Rolling, etc.) as in case of Filo cables.

josemendez
As long as the cable is not completely tensed up, Filo can fake a sagging cable by using a catenary shape. I believe this is mentioned in the quickstart guide/manual, you can control the amount of sag using the cables' "Looseness Scale" parameter.

Note however Filo is much more limited than Obi in its ability to simulate free cables, so a sagging cable won't collide with arbitrary objects in the scene or stuff like that.

Spools are just rigidbodies with a motorized hinge joint. Not part of Filo, just check out Unity's documentation on joints.

This is just one cable with 4 segments, so the simulation should be extremely fast. I'd recommend to take a look at the profiler to identify what's slowing things down, I can help you interpret the profiler results if needed.

kind regards,
[/quote]
(24-11-2022, 09:35 AM)rohit_dhak Wrote: [quote pid='13413' dateline='1668591937']
Is it possible to use the spools from Filo cable and use Obi rope instead of Filo cable to store the rope on the spool?
If yes then I would like to know how? Since I am not sure if Obi rope have same attachment types (Hybrid, Rolling, etc.) as in case of Filo cables.

No, that's not possible. Obi and Filo are separate engines and work in completely different ways.

The only way to make them interact is by attaching both a Obi rope and a Filo cable to the same rigidbody/object, but otherwise they cannot be mixed with each other.

kind regards,
(24-11-2022, 10:03 AM)josemendez Wrote: No, that's not possible. Obi and Filo are separate engines and work in completely different ways.

The only way to make them interact is by attaching both a Obi rope and a Filo cable to the same rigidbody/object, but otherwise they cannot be mixed with each other.

kind regards,
Thank You for your reply.

I have another stupid question, since I'm still fairly new to this.

I see that in Obi Rope's crane scene, there is no obi solver.
So I have some confusion why in some scenes there is an obi solver and there isn't in others.

Sorry for asking such question, I just want to clarify the concepts.

I am asking this because I just copied the rope object from crane scene in my own scene, but now I want to edit the damping of the rope, as it is possible in the Freightlift scene.

So can i just add an obi solver to my scene where i copied the rope object from crane scene. Or is it wrong to do something like that.
(24-11-2022, 10:34 AM)rohit_dhak Wrote: Thank You for your reply.

I have another stupid question, since I'm still fairly new to this.

I see that in Obi Rope's crane scene, there is no obi solver.
So I have some confusion why in some scenes there is an obi solver and there isn't in others.

Hi!

All scenes have an ObiSolver component somewhere, otherwise they wouldn't work at all.

Just search for ObiSolver in the hierarchy search bar, Unity will show you the location of the component in the hierarchy, and highlight the GameObject that contains it in the scene view. In this case, it's located in the "Crane" GameObject:

[Image: vRJYHbQ.png]

(24-11-2022, 10:34 AM)rohit_dhak Wrote: So can i just add an obi solver to my scene where i copied the rope object from crane scene. Or is it wrong to do something like that.

Creating your own components in Unity is never wrong, in fact that's what you should do most of the time Sonrisa.

In Obi, any actor that you want to be simulated needs to have a solver up their hierarchy, regardless of where it comes from: copied from another scene, or created by you. Just be careful when you copy solvers from other scenes, since sometimes their parameters are adjusted for that specific scene and won't work well in other situations.

For instance, if a scene doesn't use bend constraints, the solver will have bend constraints disabled. But you might need too use them in your scene, so if you copy the solver over to your scene you will need to remember to enable them back.

kind regards.