Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  how to wrap with cloth
sorry. My English is poor.

What I want to achieve and what I have tried.

1: Wrap a heavy frying pan in a plastic bag.
-> I used the ClothSoftBody Sample Scene as a reference. By adding obi cloth to the cube and reducing the Volume Constraints, it looks like a plastic bag. Please let me know if there is a better way.

2: Tie the handle with a rubber band
-> I can't think of a way.

3: Even if thrown into a box from a height of 10cm, the plastic bag will not break.
->I've tried increasing the surface collision and particle mass. However, it doesn't work well because the frying pan penetrates the plastic bag. 

How should I normally implement it? I would like to know which parameters or components to pay attention to.

Referenced post
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3269.html
(16-11-2022, 08:16 AM)nchisa Wrote: sorry. My English is poor.

What I want to achieve and what I have tried.

1: Wrap a heavy frying pan in a plastic bag.
-> I used the ClothSoftBody Sample Scene as a reference. By adding obi cloth to the cube and reducing the Volume Constraints, it looks like a plastic bag. Please let me know if there is a better way.

Hi!

Depends on what you goal is, but your current approach will be very performance demanding. Unless you want an accurate simulation of the plastic bag dynamics, I'd just swap the plastic bag with a static mesh once its wrapped. Otherwise you will be simulating frictional contacts of the cloth against the rigidbody (and there's a lot of contacts and self-contact happening in this case, since the cloth is tightly wrapped around the object) as well as cloth dynamics every frame, which isn't cheap.

This may work if you only have 1 or 2 wrapped items and you're focusing on realism, but otherwise it will quickly put too much pressure on your CPU.

(16-11-2022, 08:16 AM)nchisa Wrote: 2: Tie the handle with a rubber band
-> I can't think of a way.

Not sure what you mean here. What's the "handle" in this case, is it the handle of the frying pan? and when you say "rubber band" what kind of interaction do you have in mind, something like a spring joint? Could you give an example?

(16-11-2022, 08:16 AM)nchisa Wrote: 3: Even if thrown into a box from a height of 10cm, the plastic bag will not break.
->I've tried increasing the surface collision and particle mass. However, it doesn't work well because the frying pan penetrates the plastic bag. 

Surface collisions won't help in any way in this case. They improve spatial sampling, but not temporal sampling. You probably want to tweak the amount of collision iterations/substeps. The manual contains an in-depth explanation of how these affect the simulation, see:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...gence.html

kind regards,