Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ObiRope stuck in BoxCollider - Distance Fields how
Hi,

sometimes my rope gets stuck inside the box collider that I attached to my wall object.

Now I read about distance fields,  but to create one I need to input a mesh.

How would it work for a BoxCollider that I placed in the scene?
(13-10-2022, 08:15 AM)WavyRancheros Wrote: Hi,

sometimes my rope gets stuck inside the box collider that I attached to my wall object.

There can be a lot of reasons for this: from not enough collision iterations to low particle resolution or very thin box collider.

(13-10-2022, 08:15 AM)WavyRancheros Wrote: Now I read about distance fields,  but to create one I need to input a mesh.

How would it work for a BoxCollider that I placed in the scene?

Distance fields have no advantage at all compared to box colliders (or any other primitive collider): they're both convex and completely solid. Using distance fields only makes sense to replace mesh colliders (or a large and complex group of primitives), otherwise you would just end up with a less precise, slightly more expensive box collider.

I'd suggest to add a ObiParticleRenderer component to your rope to visually inspect/debug collisions against the box. Chances are the box is thin enough to pass in-between particles in the rope, in this situation some viable solutions are:

- Use more substeps
- Increase rope resolution (or thickness)
- Use surface collisions

kind regards,