Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Obi Rope vs Filo for Mobile
Hi,

I've used Obi Rope in a project and it seems to work fine on my computer but really lags badly on low - middle end mobile phones. High solver iterations and low fixed-timestep is not a good mix for mobile.

I need to hold rigidbody objects between ropes and guide them with ropes. Like the elastic ropes outside boxing rings which bounce people back inside the ring. Ropes need to catch collisions without having too many particles or solver iterations so it doesn't lag on mobille devices but also need to look kinda stiff.

Obi rope actually works really well on Mac but lags bad on low-end phones. I need a lighter solution. Is Filo better for my use-case? Can Filo catch moving rigidbody objects and push them back like an elastic band without costing fps on mobile?

Thank you for your assets.
(08-10-2022, 11:29 PM)gaydiriguppak Wrote: Hi,

I've used Obi Rope in a project and it seems to work fine on my computer but really lags badly on low - middle end mobile phones. High solver iterations and low fixed-timestep is not a good mix for mobile.

Have tried using more substeps instead? Using iterations is considerably less effective and should only be done to adjust the relative importance of constraints, and using a low fixed timestep will affect the entire physics loop in Unity (which includes rigidbodies, collision detection, etc) which is a lot more costly.

See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...gence.html

(08-10-2022, 11:29 PM)gaydiriguppak Wrote: I need to hold rigidbody objects between ropes and guide them with ropes. Like the elastic ropes outside boxing rings which bounce people back inside the ring. Ropes need to catch collisions without having too many particles or solver iterations so it doesn't lag on mobille devices but also need to look kinda stiff.

Reducing the amount of particles and increasing the amount of substeps will yield cheap, very stiff ropes.

(08-10-2022, 11:29 PM)gaydiriguppak Wrote: Obi rope actually works really well on Mac but lags bad on low-end phones. I need a lighter solution. Is Filo better for my use-case? Can Filo catch moving rigidbody objects and push them back like an elastic band without costing fps on mobile?

File does not support contacts against arbitrary objects, so it won't work for your use case. It can only interact with a predefined set of objects, using perfect friction and precomputed collision axis. It's mostly aimed at cable-driven machinery and contraptions.

kind regards,